• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lasik/PRK

kacraven

I just talked to a Navy recruiter and he said that Lasik is now waiverable for flying with the Navy as well as PRK. Is this the same story for the CG? Thanks!

Aggie08

IFS complete, starting API June 26!
I wouldnt trust a recruiter on that at all. Get in touch with the closest NAMI branch and get a flight surgeon's word on that. Last time I heard, Lasik was waiverable (within certain parameters) for enlisted aircrew but not pilots. You never know, he may be right! But you better be sure.

torpedo0126

Knowing what I know now and after undergoing the PRK procedure, I would STILL take PRK over LASIK. The results w/ Wavefront are the same if not better than LASIK AND--the biggest thing--your eye structure is not permanently weaked.

srqwho

pilot
Knowing what I know now and after undergoing the PRK procedure, I would STILL take PRK over LASIK. The results w/ Wavefront are the same if not better than LASIK AND--the biggest thing--your eye structure is not permanently weaked.

I second that. My doc argued that PRK (with his patients) tended to produce better results long term. The recovery blows, but is well worth it.

kacraven

So I take it the Coast Guard falls under the jurisdiction of NOMI when it comes to waivers/medical issues?

TwinsFan

My doctor who performed my Wavefront PRK said the same thing. He liked the longterm results and the stength that PRK offered. In addition to that, you KNOW they will take PRK as a procedure.

In my case, the procedure left me in annoying pain for a week or two. But that was well worth it for the excellent results 4 months out so far.

Brunes

pilot
So I take it the Coast Guard falls under the jurisdiction of NOMI when it comes to waivers/medical issues?

Not under the jurisdiction- We have our own medical manuals and requirements. But they do VERY closely match NOMI/DOD requirements.

To go thru flight school- You have to meet NOMI and CG requirements...but the CG will approve your medical status first and then NOMI gets to take a look.