• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LASER Strikes

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
I'm guessing this topic has been visited a time or two but I'm thinking mine will be a slightly different slant on it so I'll go ahead and start the thread.

Law enforcement crews are routinely the target of folks on the ground that think it's cool to aim lasers at us as we're in an orbit assisting ground units. Getting hit with a laser can range from being a slight annoyance to be down right dangerous to flight safety. It is becoming more prevalent.

Additionally, white light in great enough intensity can be equally as dangerous. Suprisingly, many of the mindless white light shiners are adults. One would think they would be over such childish pursuits but I guess not. There's nothing quite like Joe Citizen blasting you with the million candlepower portable light as you orbit in close proximity to power lines.

Recently, my partner and I were assisting CHP (California Highway Patrol) look for a couple stolen vehicle suspects who had foot bailed after a pursuit. As we were doing this we were hit with a laser from about a half mile away. It was obvious the holder of the laser was attempting to target the helicopter. The call we were on was going nowhere fast so we made a beeline for the source.

We located the suspect in an alley between a couple apartment complexes. My partner directed the ground units to the suspect who ended up running into the arms of one of the responding officers, laser still in hand. As if that wasn't dumb enough, he was a parolee at large.

As most of you may know, a laser is quite visible at night when using NVGs. Even the smallest of lasers can really light up your evening if the suspect(s) are accurate enough. Just a reminder...it's safer to take a laser hit with your NVGs in place. We're using ANVIS-9 goggles.

Commercial Jets coming in to land in San Diego have also been the targets of lasers and white light. They advise ATC who advises us and we check it out. Feel free to do the same where you are if the mindless white light and laser shiners target you. The FBI is very interested in these type cases. The FBI agent in San Diego who handles these is Matt Perkins.

If anybody needs more info on this type thing, let me know.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was a case a number of years back of some helo crews getting lased by a russian ship. It was a non-visible spectrum targeting laser. Powerful stuff, but of course no one could proive it was them.

They all had sight problems after that. We started wearing laser proof lenses when we rigged soviet ships after that.

Nothing funny about it.

Thanks for the POC info.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the post. Got any other good stories from your time pursuing the bag guys over Socal?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Luckily there really arent lasers available to Joe Q public that have an NOHD (Nominal Occular Hazzard Distance-how far away the laser can still hurnt an unprotected eye) beyond 100 feet at best, the Russian stuff Schnugg is speaking of is a different story.
The spotlights are an annoyance mostly.
I would think that in a law enforcement role remaining unpredictable and dimming/killing your lights would negate most criminal ability to influence your mission.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We had a chronic spotlight problem just south of the 90/base leg in Kaneohe. The FBI was constantly trying find the guy. Apparently one night the tower "tasked" one of our birds (on goggles) to help. Personally, I think it's pretty cool be able to help our federal friends, but between the ORM of hovering at 100 feet on goggles over someone's house while someone tries to blast you with white light and that whole Posse Comitatus thing, it's wasn't received well by the front office the next day.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Hahaha.....what irony, but there is an ad for a pen laser at the bottom of this page (at least when I am reading this)

Lawman

None
I would think that in a law enforcement role remaining unpredictable and dimming/killing your lights would negate most criminal ability to influence your mission.

At the same time would you want to kill your lights and anti-collision gear in an enviroment that is likely loaded with hazards posed by GA and terrain (wires, towers, etc).

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I have a job thanks to this idiot quitting a few months before this incident. The job is a basic office type thing and not related to aviation at all, but everyone here said he'd play with laser pointers all the time and convinced everyone he was a felony waiting to happen for other stuff he pulled.
The fact that this happens so regularly sickens me. Nice job nailing that dope, xnvy.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Hahaha.....what irony, but there is an ad for a pen laser at the bottom of this page (at least when I am reading this)
Damn it. I was gonna mention that but thought my humorous observation was not for a thread posted by a cop, about lasers being shot at cops. Oh well, Transformers thread here I come!!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Yeah that pointer though somewhat visible on NVGs is a Class I maybe II laser and has an NOHD of less than an inch, again not really worried about it.

The guys in CONUS with searchlights are an annoyance at worst, it would be great to see them prosecuted but I lose more sleep over the sailors on an L class ship turning on a red light on a sh!tty weather night when the goggles ahve really gained down on short final for the spot than anyone with a spotlight in CONUS where there is plenty of terrain relief and ambient light-just manuber or scan somewhere else.

Still a big fan of prosecuting those guys, more of a hazard to unaided aviation where they lose their night vision.

Edit: this is from a military perspective, I dont know the demands on the law enforcement birds.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah that pointer though somewhat visible on NVGs is a Class I maybe II laser and has an NOHD of less than an inch, again not really worried about it.

The guys in CONUS with searchlights are an annoyance at worst, it would be great to see them prosecuted but I lose more sleep over the sailors on an L class ship turning on a red light on a sh!tty weather night when the goggles ahve really gained down on short final for the spot than anyone with a spotlight in CONUS where there is plenty of terrain relief and ambient light-just manuber or scan somewhere else.

It gets worse... Not sure about the bigger ships, but on the FFGs, most have a TIS, which is a really crappy FLIR/DTV/LRF turret. They would use it all the time for boardings/seizures because it would give real time, exact ranging while providing SA for whatever they were doing. While in Combat one day briefing for the next go, I was watching the show on the big screen, and being a newly ordained ALSO, I asked what kind of class the "laser" was. Lots of blank stares. Finally one of the ET or FC chiefs dug it up in the pub. Sure enough, Class IIIb. After "emotionally" trying to explain why they shouldn't be doing this, especially w/ the helo sitting right there, all I could get was shrugs of shoulders. Maddening.