• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Languages

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What language? I'm not sure, but I think the latest change said that if you speak a language on the "critical" list, and pass the DLPT to a certain level, you will receive the pay no matter what your billet. (I didn't mention it earlier because I'm not sure and most folks aren't that proficient in the critical languages)

Be careful what you ask for, I know of at least one guy yanked out of the cockpit to put his language skills to work.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, same-same happened to a buddy of mine (Korean).

My main concern would be saying nothing, taking the pay, and then finding out years down the road PSD made a mistake (which we all know never happens) and having them pull a classic "Overpaid? No notice Lump sum Repayment! No soup for you!"

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, same-same happened to a buddy of mine (Korean).

My main concern would be saying nothing, taking the pay, and then finding out years down the road PSD made a mistake (which we all know never happens) and having them pull a classic "Overpaid? No notice Lump sum Repayment! No soup for you!"

Yeah, I have the same concern. I can't find the critical languages message either, but I seriously doubt Swedish is one of them. If you are getting overpaid, WHEN the Navy discovers it they will take it all back from you in a lump sum (or as close to a lump sum as they can get) and you will get paid jack. That happened to me in Primary, I got a $100 paycheck one pay period, it sucked.

Swmtb

Sneakin'
Yeah, I have the same concern. I can't find the critical languages message either, but I seriously doubt Swedish is one of them. If you are getting overpaid, WHEN the Navy discovers it they will take it all back from you in a lump sum (or as close to a lump sum as they can get) and you will get paid jack. That happened to me in Primary, I got a $100 paycheck one pay period, it sucked.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's going to happen. Hence, I'm not buying a new toy with this money. I'd be pretty surprised if Swedish was on the list, but I guess you never know.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's going to happen. Hence, I'm not buying a new toy with this money. I'd be pretty surprised if Swedish was on the list, but I guess you never know.

Good idea and if it all checks out then you've got a nice pot of money saved up.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, nothing wrong with that.
Oh, and for what it's worth.. I did another google-search and got this:
link

Not quite sure what to make of it.

Yeah that's one of the applicable messages. Para 3C talks about getting paid for language proficiency even if you are not in a language coded billet. Unfortunately, that doesn't answer the main question, which languages are eligible? That answer is found in Ref C that the message mentions.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah that's one of the applicable messages. Para 3C talks about getting paid for language proficiency even if you are not in a language coded billet. Unfortunately, that doesn't answer the main question, which languages are eligible? That answer is found in Ref C that the message mentions.

REF/C/DOC/CNO OPNAVNOTE 5300/05APR2006//

I'm sure that is available somewhere on NPC's site.

Brett

cmquaker

Be careful what you ask for, I know of at least one guy yanked out of the cockpit to put his language skills to work.

I am currently working on my OCS application, SNA designation.

I am proficient in Arabic, should I keep this off of the application to avoid being forced into an unwanted role? Would it be considered lying by omission?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am currently working on my OCS application, SNA designation.

I am proficient in Arabic, should I keep this off of the application to avoid being forced into an unwanted role? Would it be considered lying by omission?

Maybe you're not as proficient as you once were. ;) If you're interested in aviation, I'd keep it to yourself - at least for now. It could open some doors for you down the road, but IMO you're not obligated to disclose that kind of thing if you don't want to.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Barnard1425 said:
Really? Though your experience with all things Navy eclipses mine, I couldn't imagine a situation where knowing a complex and desirable language such as Arabic would hurt a candidate's chances. Especially one such as Arabic, which has become highly marketable throughout the military and government.

I am fluent in Spanish. I was selected for Intel. I was not selected for Pilot. Is this relevant? Your guess is as good as mine.

You misunderstand my point. People with critical language skills have been pulled from flying jobs, so if the poster's intent is to be an aviator, divulging that information may not be the best thing. I also don't think that proficiency in a foreign language, in a general sense, will measurably improve one's chances of getting picked up for a commissioning program.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm solid with Brett on this question (and most others :)) .... think about how Big Blue looks at it:

1. We can get another Aviator --- guys are standing in line to get into a cockpit.

2. How many guys are standing in line who speak Arabic anything .... can you say zero ??

3. Quick !!! Grab the guy in the Keffiyeh !!! Slap him into a blue suit !! He's goin' to GITMO !!!

thull

You misunderstand my point. People with critical language skills have been pulled from flying jobs, so if the poster's intent is to be an aviator, divulging that information may not be the best thing. I also don't think that proficiency in a foreign language, in a general sense, will measurably improve one's chances of getting picked up for a commissioning program.

Brett

and i've been kicking myself for failing to mention my conversancy in spanish and swahili (yeah, swahili.) i'm happy to hear that mentioning them may not have been a good thing to do anyway. excellent news.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
and i've been kicking myself for failing to mention my conversancy in spanish and swahili (yeah, swahili.) i'm happy to hear that mentioning them may not have been a good thing to do anyway. excellent news.

Neither of those languages are in particularly high demand, so it's a non-factor in your case.

Brett