• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Languages

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
What you guys have to understand is that this isn't a college entrance application. The Navy isn't looking for people with "diverse backgrounds", "varied intellectual pursuits", folks who "stick out from the crowd" or "well-rounded human beings". The Navy knows what they want... as A4s would say, "young whippersnappers with cottage cheese in their heads", and doesn't care about the frills.

Speaking a foreign language, being able to memorize the Qu'ran, having had the lead in a Broadway play, or being a champion caribou hunter may pique the interest of a college admissions board, but it's all garnish to the Navy.

They care about raw, easily assessable measurables. Grades. Test scores. PT. Leadership (and in a very direct sense... captain of the football team, Eagle Scout, etc). The mentality there is just that they want someone trainable... not a prodigy. They'll teach you the rest.

thull

What you guys have to understand is that this isn't a college entrance application. The Navy isn't looking for people with "diverse backgrounds", "varied intellectual pursuits", folks who "stick out from the crowd" or "well-rounded human beings". The Navy knows what they want... as A4s would say, "young whippersnappers with cottage cheese in their heads", and doesn't care about the frills.

Speaking a foreign language, being able to memorize the Qu'ran, having had the lead in a Broadway play, or being a champion caribou hunter may pique the interest of a college admissions board, but it's all garnish to the Navy.

They care about raw, easily assessable measurables. Grades. Test scores. PT. Leadership (and in a very direct sense... captain of the football team, Eagle Scout, etc). The mentality there is just that they want someone trainable... not a prodigy. They'll teach you the rest.

makes sense, but if it comes down to the plate with the garnish vs the plate without the garnish, wouldn't it be advisable to throw in that you ARE, by the way, a multi-lingual champion caribou hunter who memorized the Quran WHILE starring in a Broadway play? vs the guy/girl who has the same qualifications, minus the garnish? you know what i mean..

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
makes sense, but if it comes down to the plate with the garnish vs the plate without the garnish, wouldn't it be advisable to throw in that you ARE, by the way, a multi-lingual champion caribou hunter who memorized the Quran WHILE starring in a Broadway play? vs the guy/girl who has the same qualifications, minus the garnish? you know what i mean..

Selection board tie-breakers are a myth.

Brett

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
my conversancy in spanish and swahili (yeah, swahili.)

Jambo!!!

(The security guards at our base in the Sandbox were from central Africa, and they always lit up if you greeted them or said anything to them in Swahili!)

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Fluency in a language seems to be a common thread in many of the accepted individuals for the Intel pipeline. You can look at www.usnavyocs.com in the Selectee Stats tread to see the competition. A language proficiency is a skill that would add significant value to the IW and Intel fields, especially if the Navy does not need to train someone. In addition, if you are proficient in a language, the chances are good that you have had access to people of that culture. Cultural awareness is also something highly prized, especially in the arab regions.

Also, the stats listed on Navy OCS and on AW seem to uphold the idea of a whole person concept, especially if there is a low GPA, ASTB, or both.

That said, I agree that it is ok to omit the language skill from your application, as it is not something negative. The Navy will find out sometime, probably while you are on liberty in UAE with your buddies and you talk your way out of being arrested for your buddy's drunkin' stupidity :tongue2_1 I do not feel as through you are required to list every skill you posses. Now, if you get rejected for some reason and you want a little more, then you can add it to just become an officer in general.

These are my thoughts and opinions on the matter, feel free to discard what you don't agree with. :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A language proficiency is a skill that would add significant value to the IW and Intel fields, especially if the Navy does not need to train someone. In addition, if you are proficient in a language, the chances are good that you have had access to people of that culture. Cultural awareness is also something highly prized, especially in the arab regions.

If you think that then you don't understand what an Intel O really does. Intel Os are not analysts. I don't see how speaking a second language will help you make my coffee, or absorb the constant stream of spears coming from all the other officers in the squadron. Just get back into the vault and spend another 100 hours on a Powerpoint brief that nobody will pay attention to. ;)

Brett

greysword

Quite simply, it allows you to curse every brown shoe in the room while making the coffee, and they won't kill you for what you say! :icon_tong

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If you think that then you don't understand what an Intel O really does. Intel Os are not analysts. ....
Correct ... again.

.... in point of fact, our Intel-O's were so inexperienced that I had to brief our squadron A/I's and sometimes the CAG Intel-O on Russian Navy ships prior to each ORE/NTPI that I participated in .... It became a standing joke as a few wags would assert that I even knew the names of the C.O.'s of the Russian ships. :) Our A/I boys would just disseminate information that someone else had prepared for them.

Get the movies out of your head -- operational level Intel-O's ain't reading from Hollywood scripts as are some of you. Or, if you really want to be an analyst, give the Agency a call. Or get orders to Ft Meade if you're in a blue suit. Dating myself here --- Is Ft. Meade still open ????

It wasn't that they didn't try ... our Intel guys were good guys and tried hard ... it's just that they were glorified BRIEFERS ...not analysts. I knew more about the blue water Rooskie OOB than they as I had been studying Ivan for > 15 years at the time.

I bought my first Jane's at age 7. When THEY were 7, our O-1 through O-4 Intel officers thought Jane was the girl in the second row in Mr. Thompson's home room class .... :)

greysword

** Inital comments edited due to post being a lame attempt to fit in and show solidarity with A4s comment. Sorry for wasting everyone time.**

Now, it was my impression through observation that the real job of a squadron Intel officer was to not only attempt to inform the pilots of what they *might* encounter while on a mission, but also to get the after action information by finding out from the pilots what they witnessed during the mission. This appears to be the most important, since the Intel officer can then take the disperate accounts and make a broader picture, and submit this picture in an after action report to other squadrons for their mission briefings.

Although cheesy, a scene in Top Gun provides a decent example. If the Intel officer had a good relationship with Maverick or Goose, he/she may have been told the "inverted dive" story and saw the polaroid (even made a scan or copy). The Intel officer then could write an after action report on the incident, and Kelly McGillis would have know Maverick was "the one" before he even got there (and Goose wouldn't have given her "the finger").

Of course, I'm looking forward to the opportunity to making coffee and being Snack Officer (or whatever), since you can't open your mouth to heckle me if it is full of twinkies or donuts. :D