• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Language Training

fusu

pmasters,

what he--see above--said. That and Chinese people are even more proud of there language than the French; its all bound up with a sense national identity and history.

They do have this system called "pinyin", with assigns roman characters with tone markings to various sounds. It can't be used to write sensibly though because their are too many words that have the same phonetic sound (sometimes people will try, and it makes sense if you read it a couple of times).

And your right about Chinese dirty talk.:icon_wink

pmasters

Yeah Pinyin is a much more useful system, and it is also amusing to watch people type using it, with all the scrolling down and clicking at furious speeds. Although in my head I have an image of a little Chinese man typing away in a 6-8 room completely covered wall-to-wall with keyboard. And thats a funny image.

And honestly we should switch to IPA, or at least mirror it a little more closely. Even if only for respect to foreigners, English spelling is a royal pain to learn.

But anyway, Chinese would be great to learn, if only so that I could understand this:

hahahaha

Maybe go for a PEP with the Royal Singaporean Navy, perhaps?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd make sure he was a VP NFO in Hawaii around 99-02 or so first.

Lobster

Hey everyone, I just pro-rec'd SWO and NFO in BDCP (I think I'm going SWO) and was curious if anyone had insights on the feasibility/chances of being able to get DoD language training. I haven't been able to find anything very useful online. I'm a bit of a language geek and don't think I'd have a problem qualifying for CAT-4.

Is it even likely that a SWO would be able to get DoD training?

My first choice would be Chinese, although I've taken a few years of Arabic and that'd be fine too.

Any information or reference to where my question has already been answered would be much appreciated. My recruiter was not particularly helpful on the subject.

Pick up a stick and a pair of skates and head north of the border for three years, I picked up some french there...more than I did in two years of french class in the states and lets just say I can say a few choice words about a quebecois mother...:p

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
If you want to do it on your own there is some free language learning software on NKO that they allow you to download to your computer. I haven't used it yet so I don't know the quality.