• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Language software

SandSailor

Honestly I would not spend a few hundred dollars on RS!

I downloaded it for french and arabic, it is nice how it uses words (written and spoken) along with pictures of the object or action, but it will not work as great as they say.

After having gone through all levels of the french software a friend of mine said it still cannot get him to a comfortable conversational level.

From my personal experiance and that of my friend, Instant Immersion is just as good and a lot cheaper. Just make sure you get the full pack with every thing, not the light version.

Good Luck!

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Anyone know where i can go to get Rosetta stone?

You can probably get a cheap copy off of ebay. I presume you're not asking for a primer on how to use BitTorrent with PirateBay or something...that would be wrong...

In reality though, it's not that great a tool.
You'll be able to get basic vocab (Ie it'll say Green in what ever language, and you have to click the green picture) EX: "зеленый" = click on green chair, Красная = click on the red light

But it's atrocious when you get to even basic sentences. Aka, what is the difference between в Москве and в Москву. Subtle, but important differences get completely lost because there is no grammar to help you explain.

edit: The above applies to the Russian one my friend played with. I took a gander at the Spanish and Hebrew versions and found the same issue

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
In my opinion any language software puts the user at an immediate disadvantage because you don't actually converse, you just repeat. Rosetta Stone is a great tool but regardless of what program you use you'll never really reach conversational level unless you do just that; go and have a conversation.

0311Aggie

Not sure if it's the same on the Navy side of the house, but Marines can download full versions of Rosetta Stone for most languages from marinenet... just found this out for myself a few months ago.

BullGator

Not sure if it's the same on the Navy side of the house, but Marines can download full versions of Rosetta Stone for most languages from marinenet... just found this out for myself a few months ago.
That's pretty nice.

I found this too, if you want to buy the Spanish version of Instant Immersion software for ~$25: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DLUH2 It is reduced to $25 from $100, and beats spending $500+ for Rosetta Stone. :confused:

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
go find an air force base with a base library. They had it at Vance in the library there. Wasn't much else to do so I brushed up on my espanol. Now, I can find the bathroom anywhere in south texas...thanks rosetta stone!

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Have you checked a local library? I don't know if most libraries have language software, but it would be worth looking into. If nothing else, you can try out a program for a while for free and see if it works for you.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Have you checked a local library? I don't know if most libraries have language software, but it would be worth looking into. If nothing else, you can try out a program for a while for free and see if it works for you.

I have heard that Rosetta Stone has changed it's policy and no longer allows libraries to loan out the software.

NavyVol

i guess i should of been more precise, all u smart asses :icon_mi_1. . . I am active duty navy will marine net allow me to get it?

macattack

You can probably get a cheap copy off of ebay. I presume you're not asking for a primer on how to use BitTorrent with PirateBay or something...that would be wrong...

In reality though, it's not that great a tool.
You'll be able to get basic vocab (Ie it'll say Green in what ever language, and you have to click the green picture) EX: "зеленый" = click on green chair, Красная = click on the red light

But it's atrocious when you get to even basic sentences. Aka, what is the difference between в Москве and в Москву. Subtle, but important differences get completely lost because there is no grammar to help you explain.

edit: The above applies to the Russian one my friend played with. I took a gander at the Spanish and Hebrew versions and found the same issue

Agreed. Might as well save $300 and pick up a basic phrasebook for $10, probably just as valuable.