• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Landing On Carriers

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
I was reading about students practicing for landing on carriers with a painted runway and a meatball on the side.

Now, when you first get to the real thing that is moving and has a runway diagonal to the ship's heading....isn't that a little tough at first to land correctly?

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
...well. One last shot before the thread goes into the dustbin...as the first two people to reply clearly think the whole thing is not worthwhile. Thanks guys.:D

It was addressed once briefly in another thread, but nobody said anything in detail.

When you've got a diagonal runway that is also moving...how difficult is that to do? One guy I was talking to said all you're supposed to do is adjust the power. He mentioned nothing about the rudder pedals or banking to turn.

I'm curious becuase I feel like if I tried it, I'd crash direclty into the ship on the first try.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...well. One last shot before the thread goes into the dustbin...as the first two people to reply clearly think the whole thing is not worthwhile. Thanks guys.:D

It was addressed once briefly in another thread, but nobody said anything in detail.

When you've got a diagonal runway that is also moving...how difficult is that to do? One guy I was talking to said all you're supposed to do is adjust the power. He mentioned nothing about the rudder pedals or banking to turn.

I'm curious becuase I feel like if I tried it, I'd crash direclty into the ship on the first try.

Line up is part of your scan, you just keep correcting for it. Depends how fast the boat is moving as how hard it is. Rudder pedals? No. Power? Yes, every lineup correction requires a power correction.

This from someone who has a whopping 10 traps.

MasterBates

I guess that is one of the good things about the helo approach, straight up BRC on most LAMPS ships... The 30 offset approach just doesn't look right at night if the boat is hauling butt.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Flynavy, I noticed you said nothing about banking the plane and also said no rudder pedals. How would power correct for the lineup?

In the videos I've seen, the planes don't appear to be doing any banking. I guess it's really small huh?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flynavy, I noticed you said nothing about banking the plane and also said no rudder pedals. How would power correct for the lineup?

In the videos I've seen, the planes don't appear to be doing any banking. I guess it's really small huh?

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. When I say line up correction, I ment using the ailerons... so banking. Like I said, If the boat isn't moving much, it may not be apparent.

sbpilot

Aren't you just flying the needles in anyways? So wouldnt that make you correct for it?

Edit: Absolutley no experience

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Aren't you just flying the needles in anyways? So wouldnt that make you correct for it?

Edit: Absolutley no experience

Even if you have ACLS available (which is not always a given...), the tadpole is not always exactly on. Once you have a ball, you fly the ball. I unbox ACL at that point...

For lineup... again... visual cues. Some guys like laser lineup, others use the carrier box. Whatever works. I'm a FO, so I'm more worried about not hitting the back of the boat... ball, VSI, Radalt is my scan...

SemperApollo

For lineup... again... visual cues. Some guys like laser lineup, others use the carrier box. Whatever works. I'm a FO, so I'm more worried about not hitting the back of the boat... ball, VSI, Radalt is my scan...

Do you still use the AOA indexer or does the HUD tell you all that with the velocity vector?