• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LA Times 4-part series on "dangerous" Harrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
ONE reason is because the A-10 wouldn't be able to land on our LHA/LHD's, and our Harriers can.

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

Schwabenprinz

It says in one of the Harrier articles of the LA Times that the Marine Corps could be absorbed into the Army or the Navy. What a scary thought.

LadyJayUSN

Origionally quoted by e5b:
ONE reason is because the A-10 wouldn't be able to land on our LHA/LHD's, and our Harriers can.

Funny...neither can VMFA squadrons....

Origionally quoted by schwab:
It says in one of the Harrier articles of the LA Times that the Marine Corps could be absorbed into the Army or the Navy. What a scary thought.

Ummm....correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't every Marine ID already state 'Department of the Navy'.
bigmouth_125.gif

Here's a little trivial fact, the A-10 and the S-3 both use the same engines. I just thought that was pretty cool. [^]

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

Blue

Same engines but different thrust output. Its also the same engine used on the BAe Challenger and CRJ corporate/commercial aircraft. And , if you want to get technical, the 10 stage compressor is the same one used in the F404 engine that powers both the F/A-18 and F-117 stealth.

farkle84

Schwabenprinz they have been trying to get the marines to absorb into the navy or army for years. the truth of the matter is that, people want the Marines. And the politicians cannot even deny that with the Marines standing by, there is a great sense of security.

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
Yes, we are a department of the navy, The MENS Department. Also I think it is the National Security Act of 1947 that established into law the current structure of the Marine Corps.

Q

Marine Helo Pilot

bluto

The reason the Corps is tethered to VSTOL is the MEU. We have already sold most of our TACAIR (Hornets) to the Navy with the soon to be implemented carrier integration plan and if we loose our unique VSTOL capabilities, we will loose the A in MAGTF (no offense to our helo drivers)

Status
Not open for further replies.