• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kydex Fabricators?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Anyone else around here make their own Kydex gear? I've been toying with the idea, and pressed the first one yesterday. Eyelets, belt loops, and finishing tonight. Provided it doesn't turn out too horribly, I'll post some pictures.

And if anyone has tips/tricks/etc, I'd definitely appreciate them. I have a good teacher, but knowledge is,as they say, power.

phrogpilot73

Waiting on my new holster from my Academy classmate... He's taking a hobby and trying to turn it into a business. One of our other classmates (medically retire SEAL) runs his own self defense/shooting school, and is currently evaluating the holsters to carry them in his store. I'll let you know what I think/when he has them available for sale...

I can also put you in touch with him if you're interested in making your own, provided you're not planning on competing with him! :)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
No way. Personal and friends' use only. I'm way too busy to undertake anything remotely commercial anyway.

I'd be curious to see your evaluation of his stuff though, mainly because I'd be interested in buying one.

phrogpilot73

I'd be curious to see your evaluation of his stuff though, mainly because I'd be interested in buying one.
If I can figure out how to transfer photos from my text messages to my computer, I'll try to post pics of the holster he made for my 1911...

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
I would like to learn how to make my own holsters. Where do you get the necessary supplies and instruction?

Thanks,

Tex

phrogpilot73

on the google of course
That's how my buddy learned.

Here's his website (still under construction). The reason the 1911 Commander is available is because of me :) He mailed mine to me today, I should have it tomorrow or the next day - I'll let you know what I think...

FWIW - I don't know if he's set up for orders from his website or not yet - if you're interested in ordering, let me know, and I'll find out.

OBTW - the 1911 Commander holster on the site is my holster. Not the model I bought, but the one he made for me. He didn't have a blue gun to make a 1911 holster until I asked... ;)

jtmedli

pilot
If I can figure out how to transfer photos from my text messages to my computer, I'll try to post pics of the holster he made for my 1911...

One method is to 'text' it to your email. Type your Email address in the "TO" line in your phone in lieu of a phone number. It'll send you an email from your phone.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Check out Philster on YouTube. He has a whole series of really great vids on how to setup shop wrt Kydex fabrication. I learned from my buddy Ken at Shibumi Tactical, and Gene at GCode. So far I've only had the time to practice molding, setting eyelets, etc, and I'm currently working on my first start to finish holster. The stuff is easy as hell to work with, provided you have decent attention to detail and take your time.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
A Corpus sim instructor helped me make make a kydex holster for my SIG. It turned out far more polished than I thought possible. I feel like it may rival some of the commerical products out there... not difficult for a $25 kit and a couple hours. If you're going to set things up to turn them out en masse, you're going to need a toaster oven and a decent press. Band saw and dremel are essential as well.

Attachments

• IMAG0093.jpg
    IMAG0093.jpg
    993 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0095.jpg
    IMAG0095.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0096.jpg
    IMAG0096.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0097.jpg
    IMAG0097.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

yak52driver

Contributor
A Corpus sim instructor helped me make make a kydex holster for my SIG. It turned out far more polished than I thought possible. I feel like it may rival some of the commerical products out there... not difficult for a $25 kit and a couple hours. If you're going to set things up to turn them out en masse, you're going to need a toaster oven and a decent press. Band saw and dremel are essential as well.

That turned out really well, nice job.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!

Nice work. What thickness is the Kydex?

I commandeered my wife's toaster oven, and have been using my band saw and belt sander to cut/shape things. I tried the Dremel, but found it difficult to control.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Took today off and made a holster from start to finish, minus wet sanding the edges. If tapatalk would let me, I'd upload pictures.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
photo 5.JPG

I had a job interview that was rescheduled for tomorrow morning, so I made this instead today. I still need to wet sand the edges and put some curve into the holster. The random rivet in the center was for an adjustable tensioner, but the chicago screws I have aren't the right length to install it. The draw is just about right, but it took some work with the heat gun to get it there.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
I don't know anything about Kydex so I'm curious as to what you think about the potential holster wear? I'm sure the wear is different for SS, caustic blue, and parkerized/anodized? I'd hate to scuff a nice kimber compact because my homemade holster had the craftsmanship of a two year old put into it.

That rig looks nice by the way! (not done by me or equivalent two year old)