• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kudos to HS-10 bubba

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
If any of you read Rotor and Wing magazine (if you are a helo bubba it's the most important professional journal you can read right there with our friends at HeliTac Magazine) the LEO editor Ernie Stephens posed questions about the viability of precision rifle fire from a helo (not supressive fire from a crew served weapon). Anyways this genberated a boat load of letters and debate

But thankfully some articulate youngster from HS-10 by the name of LT Justin McCaffree wrote a decent letter to the editor saying it can and is being done operationally (by Navy helo bubbas no less).

Somebody buy that man a beer if you see him... :)

CM

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Let's not forget our Coastie brethern, too. They do it regularly as well.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Kudos to the original author for at least asking the question but at least he could have done some research. With the exception of the -53s (and who needs a sniper when you can just blow away the target), every regular Navy helo community does this, and as I mentioned, so does the CG.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The LEO helicopter community though , still doesn't believe it would be possible - hence the original article. Apparently the US Marshall Service, ICE (Customs), and even FBI were polled and their adiministrators are scared sh!tless of the idea.

All good.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The LEO helicopter community though , still doesn't believe it would be possible - hence the original article. Apparently the US Marshall Service, ICE (Customs), and even FBI were polled and their adiministrators are scared sh!tless of the idea.

All good.

Oh yeah, not arguing that, just saying there's a very large group of aviators out there that are doing it, complete w/ pictures on www.navy.mil.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I know "Juice" McCaffree. I did a cruise with him and flew with him many times, great dude.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
The military makes the helo-borne sniper work. Our targets are more defined. Law enforcement has some great shooters, and pilots, but there's liability issues that no govt, local or federal is willing to underwrite. What if your helicopter catches the slightest updraft, your shooter out on the plank pulls right on his squeeze...the round glances off the dash meant for the crack head in the right seat, and turns the accompanying crack princess's head into a ball of pink mist?

I think the military, both coventional and special ops does a pretty good job of mitigating and accepting risk when it comes to helicopter snipers.

Firehawk

As with the LT and HS units, we trained for just this scenario, and employed it several times operationally overseas....at night. The troops couldn't be happier. Matter of fact, I know helo sniper training is PART of some SOF communities training regimes.

How do I know it's effective? I've never shot a .50 cal sniper rifle in my life. While doing aerial sniper training at San Clemente Island (San Diego), I got the chance to jump behind the trigger for a few shots. 6 shots, 5 hits, and all over 100 yards away. I could hold a target the size of a dinner plate in the crosshairs (high power scope) very easily. Not bad for a door gunner that's used to decimating the target with 4000 rounds a minute. :icon_wink

An H-60 in a stable hover is MUCH smoother than people think. Most usually stabilize the rifle on a door sling, and find very little movement or vibration.

phrogpilot73

I read the article in print (c'mon, it's a free subscription!!), as well as the response. I also agree with Stearman. The level of risk that the military (to include the CG) accepts is probably just slightly over the bar of what LE is willing to accept. That wasn't communicated well in the original author's article, but I think that it is a significant point to make.