• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Krulak speech

Nose

pilot
A few years ago, I went (unwillingly) to some BS USNR leadership seminar. The class was 2 days of unbelieveable boredom punctuated by fits of laughter at some of the incredibly stupid things we discussed.

The only part that was any good was amazingly good. It was a tape of a speech General Krulak gave while he was the commandant. I think he gave it at Annapolis and the title was "Tattoo on your soul" or something close to that.

Does anyone know where to get a copy of that speech? I'd even take a transcript if anyone has it.

Thanks.

Nose

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'm not sure if it's the same speech or not, but I saw Gen Krulak speak at the Naval War College back in 1998. The the theme of the speech was core values, and how they apply in real life, combat or otherwise. During the portion of the speech where he spoke of courage, he related several moving personal stories from Vietnam, and I have heard few better lectures than that one. I have since seen it replayed at least three more times in various venues. I used to have a transcript of it, but that unfortunately died along with an old computer of mine.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I don't have the transcript but he PT'd with us at The Citadel when I was a cadet. He was a rock for an old man. (probably a pebble since he is about 5'3")

wilberforce

If anyone knows "Nose," tell him to try jtbogden.blogspot.com/2012/03/tattoo-on-your-soul.html for a complete transcript. It remains one of the best speeches on leadership, and the DVD is truly inspiring.

wilberforce

Hey, Picklesuit...

I came across Nose's query re: GEN Krulak's speech while I was looking for the text of the general's remarks. I did a little detective work and located the email address of the Texas HS principal who threatened to write to the Academy and detail a prospective Mid's poor character because the kid mentioned the Constitution and religion during a valedictorian address. The principal retracted his threat, but I sent him an email anyway which referenced GEN Krulak's comments on leadership. The principal didn't have the guts to reply... imagine that.

Wilberforce sends...

P.S. The prospective Mid (edited) should be currently immersed in Plebe Summer.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Edited. We don't need to be listing people's full names without their knowledge/permission.

Renegade One

None
Holy Motivation, Batman! That transcript was AWESOME…first time I'd seen it. Thanks to OP, whoever posted the linkie and for the thread resurrection.

wilberforce

Edited. We don't need to be listing people's full names without their knowledge/permission.
Thanks. I was unfamiliar with that practice, and only did so because the info appeared in several news outlets (plus, I admire the kid's grit). Lesson learned.

Skinsuit

pilot
A video of the speech is available on the youtubes, although not under the title "Tattoo on Your Soul."

Part 2:

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone have Adm McRaven's Forrestal speech? I heard it was great and haven't had the chance to see it.