• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

koran

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimphil

Oh yeah,

Voodo economics are good! And decrease government revenues and increase government spending and you'll eventually balance the budget! Where'd you learn all this economics--A Sally Struthers correspondence course?

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
This thread has enough tangents it could almost pass for a military briefing! It seems to me that the original poster may have been getting at the unstated but (I think) obvious point that in a place as small as GITMO, it's surprising to find out that THREE of our trusted military/gov contractors were playing both sides of the fence. I've been to GITMO several times, and I wouldn't have thought this would be possible. I think the real issue is how our security/intel people missed three people in one small command with agendas counterproductive to our interests. How do we as Americans ensure fariness for all religious/political groups while protecting our national interests? We sure don't want to repeat what happened to the Japanese Americans in WWII, but we can't let the bad guys walk amongst us either.

Daedalus

Kimphil,
"And decrease government revenues and increase government spending and you'll eventually balance the budget!"

Yes that's precisely it.
You ever hear you have to spend money to make money? Your sarcasm makes me think you still don't get it. WWII got us out of the depression along with the New Deal, both spending lots of money we didn't have. In order to get out of a downward spiral such things are necessary.

When you want to start a business what do you do? You take out a loan (decrease revenue) build the business, sell the product or service, and pay back the loan. (balance the budget)

Economics are not instantaneous. People think that it’s completely Bush’s fault for the economy. The economy tends to go in cycles. Clinton’s economic policies eventually started working by the time he was on the way out (part of it was the dotcom thing which was unique.) So just in time for Clinton’s economic policies to influence the economy (which went into rescission) Bush took over and had to clean up the mess, and it will take some time before those policies take hold. Another of my favorite Clinton policies is his agreement to give nuclear technology to the N Koreans, (and Boeing three stage missiles (ICBM’s) to China for “weather satellites”) wasn’t that nice of him, which is now a big mess. Isn’t it funny that those who attack us usually do it with our weapons?

I’m sorry for being off topic but Kimphil relies on me for his economics education.

jaerose

room, no hard feelings...and I really wasn't trying to take a jab at you about the Ivy League thing 'cause if my scholarships had been to one of those schools I'm sure I'd have gone. I get your point and I agree. Obviously, I'm very sensitive about the 'R' word. Oh, thanks again for remembering my ADD and trying to accomodate my small attention span...oh, cartoons...what was I talking about?

Glad to sign the 'cease fire' agreement,
JR

kimphil

Originally posted by Daedalus
Kimphil,
"And decrease government revenues and increase government spending and you'll eventually balance the budget!"

Yes that's precisely it.
You ever hear you have to spend money to make money? Your sarcasm makes me think you still don't get it. WWII got us out of the depression along with the New Deal, both spending lots of money we didn't have. In order to get out of a downward spiral such things are necessary.

When you want to start a business what do you do? You take out a loan (decrease revenue) build the business, sell the product or service, and pay back the loan. (balance the budget)

Economics are not instantaneous. People think that it’s completely Bush’s fault for the economy. The economy tends to go in cycles. Clinton’s economic policies eventually started working by the time he was on the way out (part of it was the dotcom thing which was unique.) So just in time for Clinton’s economic policies to influence the economy (which went into rescission) Bush took over and had to clean up the mess, and it will take some time before those policies take hold. Another of my favorite Clinton policies is his agreement to give nuclear technology to the N Koreans, (and Boeing three stage missiles (ICBM’s) to China for “weather satellites”) wasn’t that nice of him, which is now a big mess. Isn’t it funny that those who attack us usually do it with our weapons?

I’m sorry for being off topic but Kimphil relies on me for his economics education.

Now its official--Daedalus did learn about economics from a Sally Struthers correspondence course.

You defend your (presumably) conservative principles by citing a liberal big government program like the New Deal? You betray Reagan's key belief "government is the problem, not the solution." As far as Bush's tax cuts resulting in surpluses that's hard to picture when the government itself projects deficits into perpetuity.

BTW, last time I checked, we weren't at war with the N Korea or China. Of course, I'll defer to your "superior" knowledge on that.
knockout_125.gif

PS--try Sally's TV/VCR repair course--you'd get a lot better mileage out of that one.
propeller_125.gif

PPS--Penguin, you're right. However, the nuanced explanation you give wasn't what was presented here.

room5047

lol kimphil and jaerose r my heroes.

in the midst of all this weirdness, penguin makes a danged good point. we've got this serious problem here where nobody in the military or intel communities had much of a sense of urgency about recruiting or training linguists and area experts for the hot spots before that day in september; now, in our need to fill the gaps quickly, we find ourselves cutting corners on the security to get the experts into the field - but what else can you do if you need arabic or pashto speakers right this minute? scary situation.

jaerose

Immersion learning...throw an agent into the hot spot and I bet they learn the native language pretty quickly, or at least become much, much faster runners =)

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.