• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

koran

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
If anybody knows anything about the Koran, or happens to have a copy of it, it would be curious to see if this is true. Just another one of those forwards that will probably be in everyone’s inbox in a few days anyway.

All right, you scholars check this out in a Koran and see if it is as stated! Since an eagle typically represents America.... Saddam should have read up on his Muslim passages... The following verse is from the Koran, (the Islamic Bible)
Koran Verse 9:11 -- For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a fearsome Eagle. The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the lands of Allah and lo, while some of the people trembled in despair, still more rejoiced; for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah; and there was peace.

kimphil

My hotel copy of the Qur'an says

"But if they [idolators] repent and are firm in devotion and pay the zakat, they are your brothers in faith. We explain Our commands distinctly for those who understand."

BTW, are there even any eagles in Arabia?

jaerose

Hmmm...I'm just wondering how many other people are also starting to get the feeling that being in the US Military and being Muslim are becoming mutually exclusive? It seems to me that to be both is somewhat of a conflict of interests (not in all cases, just what's been on the news lately).

Can I get a show of hands?

JR

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
ya, what Kimphil said.

ya know Jaerose-I'm an open-minded person (not that you aren't) and would normally disagree with you...but unfortunately I'm also starting to believe that too, more and more...

twidget

Deskaholic
Snopes.com is a great place to look up urban legends, and especially all the email BS that gets around.

Here's what they say about it:

Claim: Quranic verse speaks of the "wrath of the Eagle cleansing the lands of Allah."

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2003]

Quran (9:11) -- For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a fearsome Eagle. The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the lands of Allah and lo, while some of the people trembled in despair still more rejoiced; for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah; and there was peace.

Origins: No, this isn't a legitimate quotation from the Quran (or Koran), the sacred text of Islam. The chapter and verse citation quoted above is a leg-pull, an obvious play on the USA's (the Eagle) launching of military action against Afghanistan and Iraq (the "lands of Allah") in response to the September 11 terrorist attacks on America organized by Osama bin Laden (the "son of Arabia awakening a fearsome eagle"). That the chapter and verse selection match the date of the terrorist attacks (9:11) is another giveaway to the joke.

Depending upon which translation of the Quran one uses, the section corresponding to chapter 9, verse 11 actually reads something like this:

But if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, they are your brethren in faith; and We make the communications clear for a people who know.

jaerose

Slasher, I'm very open-minded as well (IMHO) and sadly that thought (obviously) occurred to me while watching the news over the last couple of weeks. It's terrible to think that an American cannot be loyal to one's country and one's religion at the same time, but it seems to be the case. I mean, one would think that having a well-defined value system would lend itself to being a good American and a good military member.

JR

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
I know what ya mean Jaerose-its pretty disheartening to see yet another American service member betray his country because he can't separate politics from religion. It makes me sad.

spsiratt

24 April OCS
Oh, I'll admit it, I love money. Love it. I don't love it enough to betray my country though. Damn these morals.

Status
Not open for further replies.