• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Knives?

FlyinRock

Not sure where this should go. What about survival kinves? When I think of, or discuss firearms, blades are nearly as close as fingers to the hand.
Blades are much older than firearms and yet today seem to get a backseat to shootzenbangers.when the shootzenbangers are out of propellant (bullets) what are you left with? A poorly designed club.
So, anyone want to discuss the alternative and that of edged weapons?
I carry several of them in various degrees of usefulness. A small Swiss Army knife that can be used for a multitude of tasks, some expensive custom blades that are for self defense, a Swiss Army knife in the survival kit with multiple roles, other knives that I've carried for many years for utility roles and can fit nearly any purpose within reason.
Lets start some dsiscussion about what is good to carry in your kit and why?
Semper Fi
Rocky

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"A gun, a knife, and a clean handkerchief; they're just things a guy might need, man."

-Ted Nugent to Jimi Hendrix on the objects Ted carries everywhere (from Vh1 Behind the Music: Ted Nugent)

Wise man.

My (usual) take:

162810-large.jpg

S&W 442

M16SFA05.jpg

CRKT M-16
Handkerchief_Irish_Hemstitrch_NEW.jpg

Whatever's cheap at Wally World.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I've never had a problem with any of the Gerber clip knives I've worn, in or out of uniform. That being said, I have a 3.5" SOG folding knife that an uncle got me as a gift that is great. Holds an edge, works for anything from gutting a fish (can't quite filet with it) to cutting cable, and has a nice grip on it too. I've worn it in my flight suit since I stopped flying the T-6, and it goes in my pocket whenever I'm going out in town. Sharpens up quite nicely, too.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This thread brings back fond memories of Son of Grunt and his homemade knives. :D

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
We talking about knives as weapons, as tools, or both?

For carrying while flying?

brownshoe

Contributor
Um… Rocky and I have shared PM’s about careers (and some other stuff). My friend, Rocky ain’t lookin’ for a filet knife. Maybe Rocky will open up a bit about what he has done since his discharge from the Marines (interesting indeed).

Steve

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....What about survival kinves? .... Blades are much older than firearms and yet today seem to get a backseat .... I carry several of them in various degrees of usefulness.....Lets start some dsiscussion about what is good to carry in your kit and why?
I'm not sure what you're askin' ... but knives are good ... I've carried knives of varying sizes/function for 50+ years. If they get a "backseat" to firearms, I would suppose it's because the individual in the "frontseat" is clueless or has never trained on/used knives. Anyone who has 1/2 of a brain carries a knife. It is an extremely useful tool. I also like an ASP baton and highly recommend one as an overall utilitarian tool, even though it CAN be a little "heavy" ...

Big knife = Randall ... I've carried them for almost 40 years. I carried a Randall instead of the issue USN survival knife:

For everyday stuff, before and after 9/11 (when they took away our ability to "fight" for the cockpit door if the need arose ... plus "they" denied us any ability to protect ourselves while on layover/"liberty" ... :

Pags

N/A
pilot
Just got me a benchmade auto to replace the benchmade manual I've had for years (insert joke about helo guys, knives, and subdued patches).

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm a convert to the SOG knives. For awhile I ignored them just because of the "SOG" moniker but they are a damn good knife, hold an edge, strong, and really light. I carry the Seal Pup with me when I fly.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
I love Benchmade Autos - the Stryker in a tanto is a daily carry for me.

Not a big fan of the collapsible straight baton. The steel ones are too heavy and the air weights will bend. Plus, all they really do is just piss off the badguy even more than he already was.

The deployment of a CSB is rather intimidating though.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Not a big fan of the collapsible straight baton. The steel ones are too heavy and the air weights will bend. Plus, all they really do is just piss off the badguy even more than he already was.....
I find them useful in breaking things ...

In general, I'm not too worried about making a "bad guy badder", as most are cowards and the situation has usually gone past the trip wire stage when you begin to deploy a defensive weapon(s) ... you need to get some quality training and adopt a mindset based on that training and practice that will put "bad guys" in "fear" of YOU if the balloon goes up ... :)