• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kneeboard GPS

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
FWIW I was mostly thinking of it as an emergency back-up and hadn't even thought of using it to cheat RI's or anything. There was an article in Approach some time ago about a T-45 that lost power in IMC and the IP used it to get them on the ground while the stud was trying to relight the motor. If anyone can find it, its a good read.

Either way, thanks for the feedback and yes, I certainly don't want to waste that much money if I can't use it (I don't plan on doing much civvie flying in the next few years).

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
....and the IP used it to get them on the ground while the stud was trying to relight the motor.
I know you haven't started Primary yet, but I'll let you in on a little secret: you don't need a GPS to help you find the ground, especially with no engine.

phrogpilot73

FWIW - I had a Garmin hand held that I used in the fleet. I used it by having Flight-E dummy cord it to my vest, and had it as a backup to the PRC-112... Other than that, I used it during my FAC tour. Never imagined using it in a plane...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
FWIW I was mostly thinking of it as an emergency back-up and hadn't even thought of using it to cheat RI's or anything. There was an article in Approach some time ago about a T-45 that lost power in IMC and the IP used it to get them on the ground while the stud was trying to relight the motor. If anyone can find it, its a good read.

Either way, thanks for the feedback and yes, I certainly don't want to waste that much money if I can't use it (I don't plan on doing much civvie flying in the next few years).

I don't think anyone was saying you'd cheat w/ it, at least I wasn't. It just an unnecessarily extra thing to take into the aircraft that's would most likely be a hindrance than a help. When you start Primary, you'll have a GPS in front of you. Like I said, if you learn how to use it on your own (more than what your onwing will teach you), you can "cheat" by using it (it's a very good GPS, just hard to use). However, expect it to "fail" if you're using it too much.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Damn, that was a Salty comeback.... :icon_wink
640_b474496492dc250a349e0313c7b784d4.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I tried using the hdg indicator on NACWS in BIs to do partial panel. The IP saw that my rollouts were a bit too tight and started slaving it off to screw with me. Luckily he was pretty cool and just said, "You can't bullshit a bullshitter," and we moved on.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I tried using the hdg indicator on NACWS in BIs to do partial panel. The IP saw that my rollouts were a bit too tight and started slaving it off to screw with me. Luckily he was pretty cool and just said, "You can't bullshit a bullshitter," and we moved on.

A "technique" I used as well. Above average for using it. Below average for being too precise. I never had IPs catch on. I guess I was half-assed enough. Even now IUTs don't usually figure it out until I let them in on the secret.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
A "technique" I used as well. Above average for using it. Below average for being too precise. I never had IPs catch on. I guess I was half-assed enough. Even now IUTs don't usually figure it out until I let them in on the secret.

Funny, I was encouraged to use it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Funny, I was encouraged to use it.

Yeah, I'm sure there's lots of different factors. If you're struggling through the whole flight and then are all of a sudden able to fly precise PP, it's not really the point and it's not helping anyone. But if you're moving through the manuevers fine and then use the method, in the grand scheme of things, who cares?

I was flying w/ a TW-4 guy who was rocking the PP turns. I called him out on the NACWS (failed the CDU) and he was still kicking ass. If he had been using it, I would have reacted the same way as Phrog's IP, but I could tell he wasn't using it after I killed it.

Rubiks06

pilot
I found it really helpful for the PAR not so good with rolling out on PP but helped me fix it when i was AFU. Once they got rid of active mode it really was useless except for the heading. The thing would beep (sometimes) to tell you that something was there other times it would beep after the other air craft flew by. Then other times still it would never beep at all.