• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Knee Problems and the DODMERB Physical

Status
Not open for further replies.

EaglEye

Hello everyone, I've been lurking on this board for a long time, and finally have a question to pose to you folks.
Several years ago I had the misfortune of dislocating my patella(knee cap). I went to physical therapy and have regained full use and mobility of my knee, but I'm scared to death that somehow this will disqualify me. I was recently granted a 4-year scholarship, which was, frankly, rather unexpected, so needless to say, I'm a little concerned about this. I'm otherwise healthy, and my knee hasn't bothered me since(which I hear is what the docs' main concern is), but with my luck I'd be medically dequalled because of it. :confused: Can anyone offer their knowledge on the subject?
Thanks!

palatinexc

Student
EaglEye,
Congratulations on your selection. Their main concern is that there are no limitations on your performance. My history included a fractured wrist (2 places) and thumb and the docter didn't question anything. These are minor, however I have heard people have passed with acl tears and other past knee injuries. I know you have probably heard this, but just be honest and everything will work out. Also, if you want to, you can include the number of the docter who worked on your knee on the history form that the examining docter can call if he/she has any doubts. Good luck with your examine.

WannaBEaP3gal

If they ask you about it, just say "what knee problem? my knee is fine!" especially if it was "several" years ago. I had foot surgery a yr before my DODMERB and I didn't have any problems... I just told them that it was better than ever. Good luck!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Try and be careful about lying about your medical problems...I know of a kid who had knee surgery in his past and didn't tell the Navy about it. He got kicked out as an integrity violation sort of thing. But as long as your performance is 100%, it shouldn't be a problem. I know of people who came to the unit while recovering from torn ACLs.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
If your doc and PT have said you are good, then you most likely are.

If asked about surgeries, don't lie.

My guess is the worst thing that will happen is the doc doing the exam will have you sit and stand while he looks at your knee cap. He may even wiggle it a little bit in both positions. The doc will likley do a couple of mobility and functionality tests. I doubt very seriously that the doc would DQ you for what seems to be a perfectly good knee.

Good luck to you. :icon_zbee and congrats on your selection.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You might get DQed. I tore my ACL my sophomore year of high school and that disqualified me. If you can demonstrate that it doesn't impair your athletic and physical ability you should be fine. That was the easy waiver for me....antidepressant use on the other hand....

Anymouse

I had ACL reconstruction in high school. I disclosed it in my med questonnaire. From MEPS, they sent me to an orthopedist who said I was ok.... However, I am on a permanent waiver for it (along with anemia). However, it is no big deal. Just tell the truth. If there isn't anything majorly wrong with you, you'll be fine.
Don't lie about surgery for crap's sake... Its not like they can't find out!

EaglEye

Well, thanks for your comments, everyone, I feel a little better now.
Oh, and just for the record, I didn't actually have surgery on my knee. They basically just popped my knee cap back into place, and gave me a leg immobilizer to wear for several weeks. I still cringe to think about it, though.
Thanks!

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I've had 2 injuries and 2 surgeries to my knee, including a lateral release and then an arthroscopic procedure to smooth out the cartilage on my patella, so I know what you're dealing with. The main thing here is showing that you don't have symptoms after the surgical correction. My waiver says I'm good as long as I don't show symptoms. That amounts to "don't ***** about your knee and we'll let you fly." I did have to jump through a lot of DODMERB hoops to get the ROTC scholarship, but after that no one has ever given me grief about it.

Bottom line: if you didn't have surgery on it, don't worry about it.

jpmizzou

pilot
This is my first post on here, but I have alot of experience in this area. I had an ACL reconstruction when I was 16, but I got a 4 year scholarship on a waiver. Needless to say I went and F*$%3 it up again at the end of my freshman year playing ultimate frisbee of all things. So after another ACL reconstruction and 7 months LOA (Leave of Absence which = No benefits) I got another waiver back into the program. I was extremely lucky to come by this waiver because it was the second injury to the same knee. The key was that I had a good doctor, worked hard, and documented everything my doctor had to say. He was really understanding of my situation. Unfortunately I had to give up skiing, football, baseball, and any other sport besides running and biking. The sacrifice has been worth it though, I'm getting commisioned in May and heading off to flight school (Someday). My best advice to you is take care of yourself. Is playing a pickup game of football worth more than your commision? For me it wasn't so just keep that in the back of your mind

BadBobJr.

Auburn Aviation Hopeful
for something like that knee injury it should be pretty easy to get a wavier. don't lie on your medical records though! if they find out, thats an integrity violation, and you don't want to deal with that. if you can run and pass the pfa, you're golden. congrats on the scholarship, and good luck in whatever unit you're headed to.

Taildragger

API-bound!
Congrats on the scholarship man, and good luck with your knee. I know this post is a few days late, but this may help you: I am a scholarship MIDN 3/C in NROTC and just last semester, I tore my ACL in a stupid intramural football game. I had surgery on it in November, and have been rehabing like crazy ever since. As far as I know, as long as you can prove that you have 100% mobility and no strength issues, you will get a waiver no problem. A friend of mine just got commissioned out of AFROTC and is headed to pilot training right now, and she passed her physical even though she tore both of her ACLs and had multiple surgeries on both knees. Even though she is going to Air Force pilot training, it still proves a point: as long as you don't have any problems with it, and the doc can get proof of that, you should not have any worries. So keep workin out and don't play friggin intramural football.

Status
Not open for further replies.