• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Knee Pain advice?

boostadikt

VFA-106
Looking for some help here, I hurt my knee about a month and a half ago doing 400 m sprints. Before this I was running 5-6 miles 3 times a week and had absolutely no issues, so right off the bat I don't think it is the way I run. Anyway it got pretty swollen and hurt really bad. I took it easy for a week and it felt fine so I went running and made it about a mile before it really started to hurt again, I could barely move it that night. I didn't run on it for about another 3 weeks, and it felt completely fine but about 1.5 miles in this time it started to hurt again... This time I was smart and got off it and started icing. It felt completely fine after the icing. Now this week I went and bought a cheap nylon knee brace and ran 2 miles on it, there was some discomfort and it felt like the pain was coming back so again I went home and iced it. I have been trying to stretch, ice, and take it easy, but I am scared it is not healing completely/properly. Also, I swim 3 times a week and was swimming during my no running weeks. Maybe this is a factor in it not healing completely, however I have never had any pain after swimming.

I feel like it is not a serious issue it just needs to heal properly, and I feel the only reason it hurt was because I was doing all out sprints... before that it was fine. My dilemma is that I am headed to OCS in two months and need it fixed by then. I don't want to stop training when OCS is closing in fast, and I was told if I see a doctor for any reason they will have to re-issue my FS letter. What are some stretches or procedures I can take to get this thing healed? A friend told me I should hit the cycle at the gym, but no running or swimming... yes or no? How long does something like this usually take to heal, should I just cut my training for the next month and hope it's better when I get to OCS? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

AJB37

Go to a doctor and get it checked out. You can always push back your OCS date a few months. I went to Marine OCC with a somewhat messed up knee, hurt it more at while there and ended up getting medically dropped in week 8. I went back the next summer when I was healthy and made it through, but 18 weeks of OCS is not all that fun. I can't say anything about the specifics of Navy OCS, but showing up hurt is just going to extend your time there. Go see a doc a make sure you go healthy. It might suck to delay OCS but its better than spending more time there than you really need.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
There are only a few people on this board who are qualified to give any kind of medical advice. The BEST thing you can do you for yourself long term is to go see a doctor. If they tell you everything is okay, then you won't have to reschedule OCS. If you're told to do physical therapy, or rest past your OCS ship date. . .then yes, you might have to reschedule. It's not a big deal. As long as you can heal up quickly, you should be okay.

As other people have mentioned, you don't want to be the one who gets injured at OCS and has to spend extra time there. Hanging out in Med Hold or H is not the way you want to earn your money in the Navy. Just get it checked out and be safe.

Aquonox

Just rolling along
None
Take what I say with a grain of salt:
I'm a runner as well and I've also experienced knee pain, which has almost always been attributed to knee tendinitis. However, my knee usually doesn't swell up much.

It has taken a few weeks to a month for my knee to completely heal. During that time I do not run at all; rather, I bike since it doesn't cause much impact on the leg/knee.

Anyways, like everyone has already said, seeing a doctor is your best bet. I hope you get well.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Check out the ortho waiver guide under "knees - ligament/meniscal tears."
Conservatively treated ACL injuries (no surgery) are generally not recommendedfor a waiver, but may be considered on a case-by-case basis.

You need to see a doctor.

boostadikt

VFA-106
Ha, I knew you guys were gonna say that, I will talk to my recruiter today to see what will need to happen and then make an appointment, Thanks.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Just my $.02, but I would see what happens with the doctor, and THEN call your recruiter. If it's nothing to worry about. . .no need to start the gears of OCS date change in motion if it's not necessary.

boostadikt

VFA-106
Just my $.02, but I would see what happens with the doctor, and THEN call your recruiter. If it's nothing to worry about. . .no need to start the gears of OCS date change in motion if it's not necessary.

Yeah, changing my OCS date is the LAST thing I want. But they told me that if anything of my status changed before I shipped I had to let them know, as my FS letter might have to be re-issued, no date change but re-signed by command. I don't want to get to OCS and have them be pissed that I saw a doc without telling anyone, This is why I have been avoiding a doc visit :confused:

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Yea, what he said. But, go see an orthopod.