• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kitty Hawk's last traps

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Last scheduled traps for Kitty Hawk

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/08/navy_kittyhawk_080708/

The numbers from an e-mail

# 407,511 was the CO of CV-63 in the right seat of Password 24 at ~ 1845, 06 Aug, 2008.

We show ourselves as #3 in the total number of traps (LEX {ATV-16} and INDY {CV-62} had more) and #1 for total cat shots on the #3 Cat.

Only time will tell if these numbers will stand or if they will just reflect the end of the first of the Cat's nine lives...

Zeke

For the record, these are the final numbers for KITTY HAWK. 47 years of Naval Aviation history:

Cat #1 165,433

Cat #2 99,190

Cat #3 100,086

Cat #4 83,592

Ships landing # 407,511.

The number of cat shots exceeds traps because we count no-load shots (since the cat is actually fired). Functioning wires with a tractor does not count, so 407,511 reflects actual aircraft arrestments.

Cougar_62

Just another frustrated observer.
That's awesome. The article says the George Washington will leave port for Japan on August 21st. I thought the repairs were supposed to take longer than that. That must be another thread.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Ahh, Captain Zecchin tearing it up out there. I suspect he's not too upset about extending out there...good for him.
That's a interesting/good quote about nine lives, since he was the decomm CO for JFK.

Good info...

B

Blutonski816

Another Great Chapter in Naval Aviation history comes to a close...

great post...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
My first 10 traps in the mighty T-2C Buckeye were on the Kitty Hawk in July 96 :icon_smil

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Looks like one of my squad instructors from indoc-week at my old ROTC unit rode back-seat in the last Rhino to leave for the beach. He isn't a WSO though, contrary to what was written in the story.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Ahh, Captain Zecchin tearing it up out there. I suspect he's not too upset about extending out there...good for him.
That's a interesting/good quote about nine lives, since he was the decomm CO for JFK.

Good info...

Yep, best leader I ever served with and that started about 20 years ago. Best man at my wedding as well.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... the KITTY HAWK. 47 years of Naval Aviation history.....
A GREAT 'ol girl ... great times ... great shipmates.

"THE 'HAWK IS MY SHIP" as we used to say ..... :)

usskittyhawkis4.jpg
artnmebb9.jpg
dsc01948smallqh0.jpg
centurian2xo5.jpg
a6windscreensmallfy7.jpg
dsc01905pw8.jpg
artyy4.jpg

Thanks for the stats, Bruddah. :)

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
Great Chapter coming to an end, Without a doubt.

Not everyday you see the entire CVW-5 in CONUS. Hopefully they do some XC's while here.

Attachments

• Ship's.jpg
    Ship's.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 40

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
Glad the boys finally made i home. Good story. Figured the boss would get the last trap on the old girl...as it should be. Shot off for the beach for my PCS on the 25th after a little over two years out there. Have the ships last ride patch on my flight suit right now (not the same one)..will try to scan it and post it if anyone is interested. Have had a lot of requests for it, so I will have to see if I can get the leftovers from my boss I guess. Anyway, congrats guys, and welcome home! Great job and you deserve it!!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
VAQ-136 made it up to The Rock for the ball last night.

Great group of guys to hang with.