• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kingsville T-45 IP Ejects

Status
Not open for further replies.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Get used to it

Blacky said:
Almost half of the mishaps this year have been caused by mother nature. Should we really be lectured about aircraft damage from hail?? Go lecture the maintenance guys for leaving the birds out in the weather and let me go back to sleep. I work too hard as it is...

I thought the hail damage they were referring to (at the stand-down) was in-flight. Surely there were far more aircraft than those few mentioned that were damaged at Whiting. While poop does happen, better weather SA *might* have been able to prevent the in-flight stuff.

Get used to the lectures. Do I need to be told to wear my seat-belt and not drink and drive? No, but without fail someone does something stupid and we all have to listen to the long speeches on safety. It is like that anywhere in the military (aviation or not).

It sucks, but then again, we get paid to fly cool toys! A small price to pay. And if one sentence of one speaker out of a 10 hour lecture gets through to one of the 500 people listening and saves one PFC's life, then it is worth it.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
handjive said:
It sucks, but then again, we get paid to fly cool toys! A small price to pay. And if one sentence of one speaker out of a 10 hour lecture gets through to one of the 500 people listening and saves one PFC's life, then it is worth it.

Hey, I agree that this is hardly the worst thing in the world...

But this is purely hypothetical and the textbook definition of an overdetermined argument. There is no evidence these lectures accomplish that... or, in fact, anything. Furthermore, it begs the question as to where you draw the line? If you think an hour lecture once a month saves one out of 500... well, jee, that's not a whole lot. Why not have it every week? Why not every day? Why not make them twice as long?

It's like Brett said-- most of these accidents are random occurrences, and no matter how finely sharpened an aviator's training may be, there will be slip-ups. ORM lectures may or may not change that... but there's no stated goal as to how it will accomplish what they want other than wishful thinking. And there's no analysis as to what they accomplish other than hypotheticals "if it gets through..."

No more than just a check in the box for the powers that be that "the Navy realizes such-and-such happens and is doing X, Y, and Z about it"

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
There is no way to prove one way or another if the lectures are making a difference. Maybe they are maybe they aren't. I am by no means a safety nut. I don't like sitting through those briefs any more than you do. I've been doing it for over 10 years now, and I think I've heard every safety message there is (at least twice).

Some commands can take it to the extreme and have a safety stand-down every week, but I don't think it's out of line to do so on occassion especially after we lose a jet less than a mile short of the runway. Even if it is knee-jerk/check-in-the-box, it's probably not a bad idea to take a day to pause and collect ourselves.

War is an entirely different scenario, and losing people and planes can't stop the mission, but were freakin' training here. There's no need to push it after an incident like this. Yeah, there were some boring lectures, but I thought it was handled relatively well. We weren't talked to like we must really be screwing things up and things got back to normal in a day or so.

I really don't know why I'm finding myself defending safety briefs?!? I think Blacky's comment was a little tongue in cheek and I certainly don't enjoy lectures. I just wanted to say that they are a fact of life in the military and we should really just suck it up and learn to live with it. Just think someday you will be giving one!

KBayDog

handjive said:
I just wanted to say that they are a fact of life in the military and we should really just suck it up and learn to live with it. Just think someday you will be giving one!

Hopefully it will be us giving one, rather than us being the reason for one.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
just to throw it out, i'm a little over half-way through my first fleet tour and I know 5 dudes (two good friends & the other 3 acquaintances) from my flight school days that are dead now due to non-combat mishaps ... call it want you want, i call it sobering. think of safety standdowns as a chance to refresh yourself on EPs, and what you would do if that particular emergency occured with you.

by the way, when you get to the fleet, keep in mind that your aircraft aren't new, nor are they maintained by 45+ year old civilians who has 25+ years experience working on aircraft ... might ensure you know your immediate action EP's and not gaff them off

keeping it real

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
I love how witnesses to airplane crashes always make up parts of the story. The article says the pilot safely ejected before hitting the ground, but the witness to the crash says he saw the pilot get out of the plane and walk around. It was always my understanding that the pilot leaves the airplane with the seat during an ejection.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
you could probably say the same about the race car driver that crashes, is later seen out of the cockpit (car) and walking around.

Someone who has talked to said IP... I heard rumor around here that he had no more than one swing in the chute before touching (oomph) down. If it's true, must've been one helluva sink rate!

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I was told the same thing about one swing in the chute then to the ground, guess thats where the redneck parasailing from API helps.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jarhead said:
just to throw it out, i'm a little over half-way through my first fleet tour and I know 5 dudes (two good friends & the other 3 acquaintances) from my flight school days that are dead now due to non-combat mishaps
Whoa. Sorry to hear that man. I don't even want to know how many guys I used to know that are dead now.

jarhead said:
keeping it real
WTF...are you Brett's long lost fvcking nephew or what?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
Whoa. Sorry to hear that man. I don't even want to know how many guys I used to know that are dead now.

WTF...are you Brett's long lost fvcking nephew or what?
actually, one of those dudes i met after flight school ... so really 4 guys from flight school & one guy after i hit the fleet

"keeping it real", it fit the post, and after the 6 double Makers Mark n Cokes, i couldn't think of anything else to use

S/F

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
jarhead said:
just to throw it out, i'm a little over half-way through my first fleet tour and I know 5 dudes (two good friends & the other 3 acquaintances) from my flight school days that are dead now due to non-combat mishaps ... call it want you want, i call it sobering.

keeping it real

I heard that, sobering is an understatement. that's one thing I didn't expect about the fleet. I'm right around the same time frame as you and my squadron has had 3 class As since I joined. We could easily have had three deaths. Can you guess where I am? hehe. I would imagine we know each other there jarhead.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah mishaps suck I think every community has been hit pretty hard. I winged in 99 and have lost one very good friend, two friends and an instructor that I had back in the RAG. ALong with the guys that were flying with them that for the most part I ddint know as well. I know all of them were really good pilots, it can happen to any one of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.