• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kingsville T-45 Crash

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... My guess is it has something to do with the National SAR plan having USAF covering inland and USCG doing over-water.
Navy SAR was quite limited in the ol' days as well, even though it would seem we were flush with helo's, crews, and $$$$.

A couple of friends of mine were early into a training night low-level from a coast-in point in western Oregon, enroute to the target @ Boardman after the low-level was complete. Long story short(er) ... they hit a tree crossing a ridgeline, flash/boom/punched, and spent the night on the ridge. One was on the ground with a broken leg; the other was hanging in a tree (a tall one) all night.

Kinda funny; the first communication (yelling) between them went something like this:

"Hey Joe" ... (pause)
"Yeah" ....
"You O.K." .... ?? (pause)
"Yeah, I'm O.K. ... how 'bout you" ... ???
"I think my leg's broken" ... (pause for @ a minute)

"Skipper's gonna be pissed"!!! :D

The next morning, the Air Force rescue guys in a C-130 up from Travis, I believe, found them via their beeper and PRC's --- followed by an AF SAR helo from somewhere -- one AF para-rescue guy was lowered into the trees and literally chopped his way down to hook up the guy hanging. The one with the broken leg got a "jungle penetrator" for his ride up.

Thank God for AF SAR ... :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You say potato, I say potah-toe .... from their website:

" .... HSC-25 also provides 24-hour Search and Rescue (SAR) and Medical Evacuation (MEDEVAC) services for Guam and the Northern Marianas Islands ..."

Sounds like SAR to me, by any other name. And that's what they were doing most of the time, every time, I flew into GUM and they've been there ... when's the last time you were in Guam?? :)

You're right, it is a matter of potato/potah-toe, as -25 does do much more than the typical Navy squadron. However, the term "station SAR" that I'm guessing Pags was refering to were the non-deploying squadrons that provide SAR support, usually manned by shore-tour JOs, random hinges and non-operational skippers.

phrogpilot73

Lots of Station SAR went away...PCola is now just Helicopter Support Unit, Brunswick and their Hueys went away, Pax and their H-3s. I think the only station SARs left are Whidbey, Key West, and Fallon. USMC still might have some station SARs left too. My guess is it has something to do with the National SAR plan having USAF covering inland and USCG doing over-water.
The only one I can think of for the USMC is MCAS Yuma. Other stations have SAR assets but aren't a SAR squadron. Pedro up at Cherry Point is one example, the Phrogs fly SAR but they're part of VMR-1 (Marine Aerial Transport Squadron).

Pags

N/A
pilot
The only one I can think of for the USMC is MCAS Yuma. Other stations have SAR assets but aren't a SAR squadron. Pedro up at Cherry Point is one example, the Phrogs fly SAR but they're part of VMR-1 (Marine Aerial Transport Squadron).

Thanks to Gatordev for the clarification...that's what I meant. In the Navy Station SAR isn't part of a squadron (that i know of), i think the base usually owns them. It's a smaller bunch of guys than a squadron...maybe a few helos and crews vice the 10 or so birds and 60 pilots at a fleet squadron.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... In the Navy Station SAR isn't part of a squadron (that i know of), i think the base usually owns them. It's a smaller bunch of guys than a squadron.......
Continuing the threadjack/slide/course correction .... a story problem:

Does anyone know (or possibly care) which NAS had it's "own" Adversary unit??? Not a squadron, per se, but a real, live NAS unit. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
YOU GET THE CIGAR!! And smile when you say that --- it's NAS DALLAS, Pilgrim .... :)

dsc006969pyyy4.jpg