• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kimber KPD40

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Kimber has a new polymer frame .40, the KPD40. First 250 are out for evals. Market is personal defense. Loaded with safety features. Have been invited and hope to get up to NY this weekend to go the Kimber range. :icon_smil

www.kimberamerica.com

snort

Banned
Sweet. If it's Kimber, it's gotta be good.

I shoot a couple Kimber .45s in competition, and they're the best.

Only piece better is my old Colt Commander.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
The gun itself is uglier than sin, as is Wilson Combat's new "duty-style" pistol:

thumb_WC-ADP.jpg

Larger (EXPERIENCE THE UGLY IN FULL FORCE!!! PREPARE YOURSELF!!!): http://www.wilsoncombat.com/images/adpistol.jpg

The S&W is ugly, too:
hdr_firearms_le.jpg

What a deluge of ugly pieces! If ripping off the S&W design was Kimber's goal, mission accomplished. I hope they shoot better than they look...though that wouldn't be saying much.

T

TXHusker05

Dear Lord, I have always been a fan of Wilson Combat guns. They have always shot well and generally been visually pleasing... but what the hell is that thing?

The only way I could rationalize the purchase of one of those things is if it kept a 1/4 inch grouping, all the time, no matter what the shooter skill level... in other words, pull the trigger and bam target down.

B

Blutonski816

Fly Navy said:
I just realized what it reminds me of. The Walter P99.

Polymer Frame, DAO, Ambidextrous Mag release, interchangable Backstraps, small frame width...

yep this Kimber's got a lot similar features as Walther's P99...

Walther_P99.jpg

and it's cousin the SW99

SW99-45.jpg

snort

Banned
Fly Navy said:
I just realized what it reminds me of. The Walter P99.
Nice firearms reconition Fly Navy... and I thought you were just another pretty face. :D

I dislike all the polymer DA pistols. They may shoot well, and alot of PDs require DAOs, but they're not for me. Call me old fashioned, but I'll stick with Kimber 1911 mods, and my carry piece is still my Colt.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
snort said:
Nice firearms reconition Fly Navy... and I thought you were just another pretty face. :D

You're talking to a gun nut, boy. :icon_tong

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Ugly looking, but I'm curious how it turns out.

Agreed. I think all plastic guns fugly. :eek: However, this was an interesting piece. The way the weapon handled, the natural grip and the natural tendency to squeeze off the round rather than “pulling the trigger” actually reminded me of the Luger-Erma KGP-69. Different caliber, different gun altogether, although the KGP 69 also had a chambered round indicator, DAO trigger and an interlock safety when mag removed. Smiles when I mentioned that.

The piece is clean, ultra narrow slide, not even an external safety. All safety devices are internal, including an internal key lock, now mandated by some states, e.g., MARYLAND. I was so struck with the narrowness of the slide I whipped out my handy-dandy caliper and measured, just a tad over 3/4 inch. Advertised overall width of weapon is 1.05 inches. Those with small hands will appreciate the design, KPD = Kimber Personal Defense, while Kimber declined to say it was aimed at the distaff side of the house. They claimed concealed carry drove design and agreed it was not police/military market. Still about 25 oz, with mag but unloaded.

Currently only in .40 S&W but plan a 9MM.. Street price should be about $500 vs $560 suggested retail. Shipping to dealers will begin next month.

Firing the weapon was sweet. Took some time to get accustomed to the lack of an safety switch. Fired good groups at 15 and 25 yards, but really excelled at 35 yards rapid fire. For the thirteen rounds (12 mag, 1 chamber), one bulls eye, no other punches on the target, All 13 had to go thru the same hole!:D :D :D

Kimber is working on a new shotgun for release later this year.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Chief said:
..... All 13 had to go thru the same hole!:D :D :D
All 13, huh??? :) Now you boys see why The Chief --- is a Chief.

Saw one of my old Master Chiefs yesterday ... he's still giving me that respectful, good-natured hard time that he's been doing for 30+ years and only a pro can muster. Fortunately, I am one of the LT's he decided to let live.....

It must be that Chief time of the year ... :)

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Sounds like Kimber has come through again, in a big way. Just bought a Kimber Warrior for myself as a graduation present, it's on its way as we speak. If it shoots half as well as my Stainless Series 1 Kimber, it'll be well worth the cash.

Good range report, Chief, might have to check one out for my girlfriend to have...I want her to have something here when I go to OCS, and she can't handle my 1911s (too heavy)...might look into one of these, especially with a price like that.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
metro said:
might have to check one out for my girlfriend to have...I want her to have something here when I go to OCS, and she can't handle my 1911s (too heavy)...might look into one of these, especially with a price like that.

At the risk of sounding as a spokesman for Kimber, but in interest of full disclosure I do have relative by marriage in senior management at Kimber, but have no real interest one way or the other.;)

I think the KPD40 is a good choice, not only for smaller hands, but safety. With no external safety, the mag is the safety. That is, remove the mag and even with a round in the chamber, piece cannot be fired. Insert the mag with a round in the chamber it is off safety, good to go. With the DAO trigger, no jacking back the slide, just pull the trigger and it lights off. Was a bit tough me getting used to that because of long held habits, but maybe someone not as old as I could do better.:eek:

As I said, interesting piece. Fugly as sin.:eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"Range report" to follow ... on the "new stuff" .... an H&K Compact .40 ... and an H&K P2000 .40 .... compared to a couple of trusted standby's .... a Glock 19 and an H&K P7M8 .... I know, I know, granted; they're different calibers. But that's not the point.

Maybe another thread. :icon_rast

ACTUALLY ... I didn't go to the range at all .... just pumped 6 boxes of ammunition into the neighbor's .... :icon_cat:

Sorry, Fly-guy ...