• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Killing time in Meridian

Status
Not open for further replies.

dufault.2

Hey guys,
I'm brand f'ing new to NAS Meridian, and I don't class up for a while. What do you guys already in the syllibus recommend studying until then? I figured sticking to EPs and limitations would be a good start. I've heard hitting up the FTI's wont do you a ton of good. Any areas to focus on besides those to make life easier once I'm back in the cockpit? Any good gouge floating around? Thanks.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
Enjoy your time off and start taking road trips .....
AGREED !!! We used to go to Pensacola (weren't we just there -- in VT-1?), Jackson (?) or Mobile (?) ... and that was IT !!!

Ah, yes, Meridian .... I saw some things in Meridian @ 1970 that most of us have only read about in the history books. I would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own two eyes. Alabama, too. Pensacola was MUCH MORE "socially advanced", for the time ... obviously, not to offend anyone, but it was a real eye-opener for this Yankee from the Northwest. It's part of our history .... for better or worse. COURAGE, mates ...

segregation.jpg
Montgomery, Alabama circa 1970

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I buy guns. Ask Patmack18. It's an addiction.

If you haven't been to Tuscaloosa yet, you must go. Dreamland BBQ is phenomonal.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
T-town is the shiat. Bars don't close (at all) on Friday nights, Horne's BBQ is great, and football is a damn fine time. If you can swing it, City Cafe over in Northport has some of the best and cheapest comfort food ever. It keeps weird hours though, so plan/call ahead. UI is right - the bars downtown cater to a more mature crowd, whereas the hard-partying college kids are all on the strip, which is closer (walking distance) to the dorms. Downtown is about a 20-25 minute walk from the strip and about a 5 minute car ride.

If you're there during football season, go for a game or three. You'll likely get noticed for your short hair and asked if you're in the military by the legions of RVers that come for Alabama football, and then offered lots of free beer and food. Great times, plus Bama football is coming back with a vengeance this year.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Nah, just spent many a fun weekend there. Did grow up in Mobile, though.

beau

At least Krock has the Corpus Lights in the distance. I see those guys in the clubs all the time in Corpus.

Status
Not open for further replies.