• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Key Bridge - Baltimore

robav8r

None
Contributor
Interesting fact about the increase in size of container ships over the last 50 years. I assume there are mitigation measures that can be put into place with a new bridge to prevent a catastrophic failure, compared to the old bridge that was completed in the 70's. (I know nothing of bridges, except that I want the Kerch bridge dropped. 😆)

Another book from my NDU days . . . . . Interesting story how shipping containers evolved and adapted to not only ships, but rail and trucks as well . . . .IMG_1139.jpeg

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I should have specified outbound ships. I imagine they get picked up by tugs at the same point. That LNG terminal is the scariest thing in Boston. If it goes up the damage would be immense.
Those holders are pretty safe/thick, and they have to be. Not only to maintain the temp to keep the gas in a liquid state, but for safety. I believe 8’+ thick. I work at an LNG plant right off 95 and the holders were designed to withstand an RPG or small plane hit.

IMG_5798.jpeg

Random8145

Those holders are pretty safe/thick, and they have to be. Not only to maintain the temp to keep the gas in a liquid state, but for safety. I believe 8’+ thick. I work at an LNG plant right off 95 and the holders were designed to withstand an RPG or small plane hit.

View attachment 40146
To make sure I am understanding right, you're saying the containers are 8 feet+ thick?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I don't get the picture.
It’s a reference to the “This is Spinal Tap” movie where the Stonehenge stage prop was waaaaay too small due to a miscommunication [or something] regarding its intended dimensions.

LATE ENTRY: Yeah…something about mixing up feet and inches…it [the Stonehenge prop] was supposed to be 18 feet high but ended up being 18 inches high…it comes to light near the end of the video clip below…

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Probably a unit typo…kinda like what happened here…

View attachment 40157
I built this container up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other shippers said I was daft to build a container on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up! Because the walls were 8 feet thick!

1712066195508.jpeg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I built this container up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other shippers said I was daft to build a container on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up! Because the walls were 8 feet thick!

View attachment 40179

At least the son's fiancée has huge...tracts of land.