• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Keratoconus

zondaracer

Hello,

This is my first time posting on this forum. The reason why I am writing is because I am wondering what is the possibility to get a waiver for Keratoconus for Naval Aviation.

I am currently 25 years old and an O-2 in the Air Force. The problem is that when I was in AFROTC, I got selected for a pilot slot and went for a medical and even though my vision is 20/17, they told me that I have keratoconus. This was 3 years ago. My vision is still 20/17 and in the Air Force I have been medically DQ'ed from all flying classes. The AF waiver guide says any sign of Keratoconus will be diagnosed as such, and they diagnosed me with a cornea topography scan. I saw that the Navy medical waiver guide says that a waiver may be given for keratoconus if 20/20 can be met with correctable lenses. I saw a civilian opthamologist who said that he wouldn't diagnose me with Keratoconus, but the AF opthamologist said that that is the new standard as of 2004 or so.

Lastly, I figure this is my last shot at becoming a military aviator if there is even a chance, but it is something I have always wanted to be. Does being medically disqualified in the Air Force negate any possible chance of getting a waiver in Naval Aviation even though the waiver standards are different? Thanks for any input.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
I knew a fellow SNFO who was NPQ'd for Keratoconus. It is my understanding that for conditions like this the Navy would prefer not to risk the investment of training you when you could become disqualified later. However, if this comes up after they have already trained you that is when they would be more likely to give you a waiver. Good luck, hopefully, a FS can give you more specific answers.

zondaracer

Thanks guys. Feddoc, I have seen that site and it is what prompted me to post on here.

As far as the waiver for currently qualified flight crew, I pretty mch thought that was the case since AF aviators can get a waiver if diagnosed after training.

What is the criteria for diagnosis in the Navy? In the Air Force it is my understanding that the topography scan is enough to diagnosis and disqualify.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
INFORMATION REQUIRED:
1. Current ophthalmologic/optometric exam to include:
a. Corneal Topography
b. Best corrected visual acuity (BCVA) with contact lenses if used
c. BCVA with spectacles
2. Annual submission is required

The above was taken from the link provided earlier. Results from the scan appear to be critical for those who are seeking a waiver.

wirefire2

Corporal of Marines
Every wavier is different for every person. With that said I was denied enlistment as a naval officer for surface warfare because of keratoconus. Not even aviation and they still wouldn't take me. I had a 50 on theofficer battery test and a 3.8 GPA and they even dragged me through the selection board and was selected on the first try. I'm also prior Marine enlisted with an honorable discharge.

It was a huge disappointment that they took me through 2 months of "oh you'll be fine, they say its not a problem" (they being MEPS). But the waiver was denied so fast it made my head spin.

I don't like to shoot down people's dreams but keratoconus is disqualifying for the Navy and they don't like to give waivers for it. However if you can prove that you DO NOT have a history of KC they will accept you. I say that the only reason I was denied because they used my civilian medical records and noted the part about KC on it. So if your civilian doc says you do not have KC then I would use that for your basis of proof that you do not have KC.

zondaracer

Thanks for everybody's input. I got the responses I was looking for. I was lucky to commission in the AF because they said keratoconus was disqualifying even for commissioning. I just wanted to get a feel for the Navy to see if there was a chance. I think my best and last chance would really to go for an exception to policy in the AF. Thanks again everybody.