• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

KC Airshow Crash

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Horrible....that shit's crazy. It looked sort of like a progressive spin, the way it reversed like that. I'm just a helo-bubba though...no expertise here.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Maybe I have ridiculous expectations, but those reaction times in the videos I've seen posted recently disappoint me. It's not like it's 3 am at a small regional airport. It's an airshow with demos currently in progress. If it was a low impact crash, but enough to knock him out, he would have died long before guys in firesuits showed up.
Quite a few airshow crashes lately, included the British Hawk demo team.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Maybe I have ridiculous expectations, but those reaction times in the videos I've seen posted recently disappoint me. It's not like it's 3 am at a small regional airport. It's an airshow with demos currently in progress. If it was a low impact crash, but enough to knock him out, he would have died long before guys in firesuits showed up.
Quite a few airshow crashes lately, included the British Hawk demo team.
Seriously. The first thing to show up is a Toyota Prius? And then the fire dept. comes minutes later?

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
IMO, it looked like an inverted spin into a death spiral. Both are tough to recognize and recover from...especially at low altitude.

RIP my brutha.

yak52driver

Contributor
Just got a phone call from a KC reporter wanting me to discuss the crash, not calling them back...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Just got a phone call from a KC reporter wanting me to discuss the crash, not calling them back...

I don't blame you. That's a tough one though... With the media and aviation stories I'm cynical so I'd be most worried about being misquoted- not so much for hurting my pride but my words getting changed into bad information. On the other hand, that report will just keep calling around for an "aviation expert" to quote and might end up talking to someone really dumb.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I don't blame you. That's a tough one though... With the media and aviation stories I'm cynical so I'd be most worried about being misquoted- not so much for hurting my pride but my words getting changed into bad information. On the other hand, that report will just keep calling around for an "aviation expert" to quote and might end up talking to someone really dumb.
I can't remember what news station it was, but I remember for one of their aviation mishap related stories they obviously really wanted an interview of some sort of expert opinion on the matter and ended up showing a five minute interview of some weekend warrior in front of his Cessna 172. I was like really? They're asking that guy for his input on what happened?

Flugelman

Contributor
Was watching an interview on national news with someone who saw the accident. He said "There wasn't enough torque in that engine to pull him out." WTF does torque have to do getting the thing flying. I wish the talking heads would vet their interview subjects before talking to them. Just stupid...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You mean torque isn't in this picture?
plane1.jpg

So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Seriously. The first thing to show up is a Toyota Prius? And then the fire dept. comes minutes later?

I guess my question is then, what would be a reasonable response? It took them roughly a minute and a half to get on scene, and unless they were sitting right next to the runway that's a pretty good response in my opinion. Most airshows I've been at, the crash crews aren't right next to the runway nor are they suited up for immediate response, like the crash crew guys on the carrier.

yak52driver

Contributor
I guess my question is then, what would be a reasonable response? It took them roughly a minute and a half to get on scene, and unless they were sitting right next to the runway that's a pretty good response in my opinion. Most airshows I've been at, the crash crews aren't right next to the runway nor are they suited up for immediate response, like the crash crew guys on the carrier.

I agree. I've flown some small town airshows where the firetruck and ambulance were there to make everyone feel good, but if I made a hole in the ground it would be quite a while before they got to me. Even at larger airshows I've flown the crash crews seem to be out of the way so that no one can see them.

JEP

Yea it is sad. I heard this guy was based out of KSGJ St. Augustine for the Vp-30 guy that posted this. ^