• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

KC-135 Lands with Handheld GPS

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
BS....Someone forgot the basics of Dead Reckoning. The STANDBY compass wasn't broken. Maybe they should go back to flight school. You think planes in 1911 had electronic compasses? Jeez.

-ea6bflyr ;)
They should forever be required to wear a CR-2 around their necks while "on the flight deck".

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
And they promote to O-4 a year earlier than USN

How so?

USAF promotions to O-4 prior to 2003 actually *lagged* all three other services by one year. Starting in '03, they actually pushed boards up one year earlier. I was one of the first "early" boards.

My O-4 board took place in my year 9, and I pinned on in year 11.

By my understanding, that is the exact same as the USN.

navyao

Weren't Tomcat crews using handheld GPS in the 90's? Oops! Just so Shnugg's post, I was right!

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Weren't Tomcat crews using handheld GPS in the 90's? Oops! Just so Shnugg's post, I was right!

Prowlers used them too but the gold film (scratched and mangled as much were) on the main canopy blocked the signal so they had remote antennas up front under the main windscreen or you had to just hold them out there to get a signal.