• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just wondering

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
My options are:
1. Suck it up, stay the summer, finish school, try to get an earlier ship date (maybe in January '10?) and get the ball rolling
2. Enjoy my school-free, work-free, money-worry free summer at home near New Orleans (fun place to party), stay a kid for a couple extra months, and ship on my current date.

#2 looks good to me. Here's the deal: You're 20, don't be in such a rush to get to the fleet. It'll still be there when your time comes.

If none of your friends are going to be around in the summer, that sounds reason enough not to stick around and take classes. Take that BDCP money and road-trip and have fun. Right now your responsibility is zero, so enjoy it while it lasts. That shit will all change once you commission.

gusthebus229

thanks guys for all the advice, its always good to see other people's views of this.

Godspeed, you're the f*ing man. I'm doing the closest thing possible to that. thanks again.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
So it's settled then?!? You're planning to party it up for the extra four months and enjoy your civvy life to it's fullest while making free money on the government's expense? Awesome.

And I agree...Godspeed should change his name to Godfather, 'cause that's exactly what all of our next two years should look like. I'm already planning some of our future trips (I work for an airline too, but in QC/inspection) as well as what bills I wan to eliminate first.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
I'll go out on a limb and guess you weren't a finance major...

His pay will double as soon as he commissions. If you're arguing this from a financial standpoint- which you are- he'd be a fool to put off a massive pay raise.

EDIT: Picaroon- read above. The 2 yr bump for an Ensign ($108/mon) is absolutely nothing compared to the lost wages from putting off commissioning for four months ($4,024). Oh yeah, and ASU sucks ;)

To an extent, yes he would get a pay increase of around $1000 plus BAS and BAH, etc. BUT......he'd be throwing away anywhere from $2500 to $4000+ of free money (YES, free, as he hasn't truly served a day yet) that he could never get back. Yes, he'll get that raise four months later, but that's on top of the $10k+ that he netted while enjoying being a civilian a little longer. He'll still have a full career in the Navy at Officer pay, but he'll be earning that. This is having your cake and half of someone elses too...

It's the best of both worlds...and every man in his right mind (who didn't desperately want to get out of town NOW) would take free money every day of the week.

I don't have to be a finance major to understand that.