• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just Took ASTB version 3

SShanerBaner

Just took the ASTB and I did pretty well:

AQR: 8
PFAR: 8
FOFAR: 6
OAR: 65

In general it was easier than I was expecting. I wont say I over studied because Im happy with my scores, but It was not as hard as I was anticipating. Very few word problems on math lots of if 6=8y and y= 2z + 32y and stuff like that. Reading was hard normally couldnt figure out what was exactly correct. Spatial App is a lot harder than the test prep stuff, basically all of them are diagonal which very few in the practice books are, and the aviation stuff seemed like either you had studied and knew it or not, nothing too complex, there was some stuff I completely guess on having never seen it in my practice reviews but I still did well.

Advice: I used Airwarriors downloading all gouge sheets on study material, and I also used the Barrons book. Study it and I see no reason that anyone wouldnt be able to do well.

Any more questions and I'd be happy to help with advice as future forum users did for me.

Finally thanks to everyone on here reading this forum helped me a lot on the test, a couple questons I knew the answer specifically because I read info about it on this forum.

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
Good scores. I'm taking the test in a week and I feel like theres nothing more to study. Thanks for the advice. I've been studying the spatial app from the arco books and its a cake walk... guess i have to look for some harder practice questions.

Thanks

SShanerBaner

yea i was surprised at how much different the actual test was from the practice. The practice had like no shot of the plane going into shore, which was a lot of the test, and much more severe angles of bank, and a lot of shots going diagonal or with the shore, which when taking into account the practice I saw, would have been little to none. Good Luck.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Well done on your scores! If you crunch the numbers, you'll find you've put yourself in the 95%+ range on astb

Sonog

pilot
I noticed the spacial app had a lot of diving/climbing at angles with the shore and with degrees of bank that with the limited time per problem made it substantially more difficult than the arco practice problems. Still, figuring out the methodology for solving the arco problems definitely still applied for the newer problems, its just the newer problems took longer to solve.

Also I wish I knew which problems I got wrong. I got a 7/6/8 and I thought I did well with spacial app and only guessed on a couple aviation/nautical problems.

das

Contributor
As other have noted, the basic difference on the Spatial Apperception section on the real test versus the study guides is twofold:

1. There are multiple angles of attack and bank represented (e.g., there may be shallow and extreme angles, instead of just banking/climbing/diving or not).

2. There are many examples of the aircraft going into or along the shore at various headings relative to the shoreline, instead of only out to sea.

However, if you have a good grasp of the practice problems and have a good feel for spatial problems in general, this section on the real test is no problem!

Good job on your scores! Like you, I used all of the materials and advice referenced on these forums and ended up with 8/8/7/68, thanks in large part to the experiences of others. Thanks, AW!

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I don't think it matters what version of test you take, they are all going to have the same material on them. Some perhaps more of something, than the others. Just make sure you study the Arco books and are proficient in all sections and you'll be fine no matter the version.

Phoenix289

API- Whiting for Primary
I just took version 4 on Monday, July 20 and got scores of 8/8/7, 63. I've read elsewhere on AW that version 4 seems to have harder math, but the only thing that bothered me was it seemed like there were a lot of problems at the end of the math section that required more number crunching time. Like some of you guys, I was very surprised by how different the spatial apperception segment was. I think if you do plenty of studying with arco and the gouge you shouldn't have any problem adjusting to it. Didn't really have much trouble other than maybe two or three questions on aviation and nautical that I never ran into while studying.