• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just a thought

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
It's in the blood. I am a former AQ myself. PNA'd AQ2 twice and was given the choice of going back to the USS Forrestal as ships company or back to the USS Forrestal on another sea going squadron.

I decided to get a couple of degrees and be something else.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
Brixtonbulldog,

It's because your trying to make up for not being an ET!!! Just joking, I think it's because ET, FC, and nuke are the three most difficult "A" schools, and to make it through you have to be top notch (in most cases.) Also, as Combat Systems, ETs and FCs have a pretty good life onboard ship, as compared to other rates, so we tend to not be quite as disgruntled. I'm sure there's other reasons, but those were just a couple off the top of my head.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Scamahmrd said:
Brixtonbulldog,

It's because your trying to make up for not being an ET!!! Just joking, I think it's because ET, FC, and nuke are the three most difficult "A" schools...
I am not familiar with this Nuke "A" school. What does it consist of?

Scamahmrd said:
Also, as Combat Systems, ETs and FCs have a pretty good life onboard ship, as compared to other rates, so we tend to not be quite as disgruntled.
Hmmm, I think when I get to the ship as the CSO I'll have to keep this in mind. Note to self: ET's and FC's think life is good. Keep ET's and FC's onboard till 1800. Me...I believe in working half days...0600-1800

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Hmmm, I think when I get to the ship as the CSO I'll have to keep this in mind. Note to self: ET's and FC's think life is good. Keep ET's and FC's onboard till 1800. Me...I believe in working half days...0600-1800

Phht....You'll be too busy yelling at the cranks about how I should walk into the Chief's mess and demand some chocolate ice cream for you (yeah, that actually happened to me, but it was WEPS who later became the CSO). :D When you are feeling down however, join the SPY techs for the R-13 skid check...oh the fun that is cleaning out a seawater heat exchanger for a day.

Tuckster

MIF HUNTER
None
or a nice spy flush...in the yards:) For me its something I have always wanted to do.. being an FC was great, but I am ready to move on up..

twidget

Deskaholic
fc2spyguy said:
When you are feeling down however, join the SPY techs for the R-13 skid check...oh the fun that is cleaning out a seawater heat exchanger for a day.
Yeah, we had seawater strainer and heat exchanger maintenance on the 49 as well, and the added joy of a big rotating antenna that loved to spit oil and grease.

Best PM ever: SPS-49 M-4 (Record Meter Readings)
1. Tag-out radar (1 hour)
2. Run Man-Aloft chit (1-2 hours of checking with everyone on the ship and other ships on the pier)
3. Perform R-1 and R-3 checks on safety harness and ball-buster (10 minutes)
4. Gather supplies and rope off safety area topside, station safety observer. (30 minutes)
5. Climb mast, place local antenna safety switch to "safe", disengage brake, manually position antenna if required, re-engage brake. (10 min)
6. Remove 16 bolts from access panel using socket and speed-wrench. (5 min)
7. Record meter reading (10 SECONDS!!!)
8. Reverse steps to restore antenna to operating condition, clear tags, clear man-aloft chit.

So to recap, that's 5-6 hours X 2 personnel required=10-12 manhours for a check that takes 10 seconds all because some retarded engineer couldn't figure out how to run the meter down to the base of the mast, or even to the equipment room. (2 wires and a meter, that's it).

Mistake you learn from quickly?: Realizing you have to spend another 1-2 hours requesting permission to go aloft again to return the antenna safety switch back to operate.

twidget

Deskaholic
And back to the original subject....

I did a poll a while back about the rates applying for a commission. The combined rates of ET/FC eaked out a narrow victory over the entire Enlisted Aviation Community, even though this is "Air Warriors".

Here's the link to the poll and the discussion

bbell

As a former 49 radar tech., I had horrific flashbacks reading your post! I've been out over 7 years now and I still despise the number 49 because of that radar!