• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Junior Officer Pay

Lorenzo de Florida

Applying to be an Intel O
Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to collect information on what to expect in terms of pay. I see the monthly pay for an O-1 is $3,477. But recruiters quickly remind me many other perks will increase my compensation to bring it closer to what one could expect in the private sector. For example, I understand BAH for the Tampa, FL, area is about $2,500/month. And there is a food allowance of $300? So would it be reasonable to expect a monthly paycheck of $6,277, give or take, split evenly and paid on the 1st and 15th of every month? If assigned to more expensive areas like San Diego or Hawaii, does the housing allowance go up enough to keep the family comfortably housed and fed?

I'm assuming health and dental insurance is already paid for and not included in the take-home paycheck, and utilities are too?

I've got a package in for the 20 Feb board, my OR says I've got a good shot, but I want to make sure if I do this I'll still be able to take care of my wife and two young children.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated; thanks.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to collect information on what to expect in terms of pay. I see the monthly pay for an O-1 is $3,477. But recruiters quickly remind me many other perks will increase my compensation to bring it closer to what one could expect in the private sector. For example, I understand BAH for the Tampa, FL, area is about $2,500/month. And there is a food allowance of $300? So would it be reasonable to expect a monthly paycheck of $6,277, give or take, split evenly and paid on the 1st and 15th of every month? If assigned to more expensive areas like San Diego or Hawaii, does the housing allowance go up enough to keep the family comfortably housed and fed?

I'm assuming health and dental insurance is already paid for and not included in the take-home paycheck, and utilities are too?

I've got a package in for the 20 Feb board, my OR says I've got a good shot, but I want to make sure if I do this I'll still be able to take care of my wife and two young children.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated; thanks.

A basic google search can tell you more about the military compensation system. Additionally, these are basic recruiting questions that an officer recruiter can help you with...

Officers earn base pay, a housing allowance (called BAH, unless you live in base housing), Subsistence allowance (called BAS) and other special pays / bonuses depending on your job. Base pay is taxed, BAH/BAS are not.

There's a military salary calculator that you can use to calculate your *anticipated* salary:

An O-1 with dependents living in San Diego will be earning around $98K.

Tricare is fully covered. Dental is free for you but you have to pay a small amount monthly for dependents.

The Navy does NOT cover your utilities unless you live in base housing (most officers live out in town).

All other questions ask your OR and use you Google senses.

Lorenzo de Florida

Applying to be an Intel O
This is excellent information; thank you, Guru. My apologies for the elementary nature of the question and that the essence could be found in google. Your response is very helpful - I hadn't seen the RMC calculator. Thank you.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'll add the old school anecdote that your pay as an officer is not remuneration for your work or expertise, but to enable you to live commensurate with your responsibility and duties. Subtle, and many will say meaningless difference from being an employee.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Also keep in mind your basic pay and BAH will grow rather rapidly early in your career. You will make O-2 two years after commissioning and O-3 four years after commissioning. There are significant pay bumps there. Your O-1 compensation in year 1 is definitely not static.

In the San Diego example you’re making 113k as an O-2 and 138k as an O-3 (year 4).