• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Junior apply for BDCP and change majors.

Pihkal

Right now I'm a junior (although I should be a senior by now, probably only 1 class short) getting a BA in Business Management. I hate it. Can't stand the classes, completely disinterested in the material. I've also got a 2.88 GPA. If I change my major so I have 2 more years to go can I still get BDCP? Does it matter what I change my major to? I'm thinking Art.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
The minimum GPA to be in BDCP is 2.7. A 2.88 is, unfortunately, probably not very competitive. Not that it's impossible to get in with that GPA, especially if you show improvement (like get a 4.0 the semester before applying) and rock the ASTB, but you will need to have a really strong overall application.

Second, yes you can still get BDCP if you change your major with 2 years out. It's not a matter of how long you've been in school, just how long until you graduate. Word is that they prefer technical degrees and science, but I'm poli sci and I got in.

blarged

ready
Right now I'm a junior (although I should be a senior by now, probably only 1 class short) getting a BA in Business Management. I hate it. Can't stand the classes, completely disinterested in the material. I've also got a 2.88 GPA. If I change my major so I have 2 more years to go can I still get BDCP? Does it matter what I change my major to? I'm thinking Art.

I second Picaroon's response.

On an unrelated note ... if you hate your degree, change it (period). Whether you end up Navy or not, college is short compared to the rest of your life, do something you enjoy. Granted ... there is that whole doing something you enjoy but also supports the lifestyle you wish to lead ... but that could be a whole non-Navy related thread of itself.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Not to discredit blarged, but I just wanted to add that I saw it different. I'm taking Human communication Pre-Law and it is the most boring, bull-shit, and useless set of classes I have ever taken. I learn nothing, and people around me act like lemmings, saying that they are learning. Bull Shit. Its like a squared away person taking common sense classes, pointless.

That being said I'm staying in this major and going to graduate with it because in a year it will be over, in a year I will start a long 20+ year career that I have dreamed of. I don't want to wait an extra year to begin this career, I don't want to pay an extra year of tuition for this major that I wont use again anyways (not that I'm actually learning anything). Lastly, what if, your business major is the little edge to help your bdcp packet? I mean it looks better than art and your wont be able to raise your GPA that fast switching to art.

I would propose, that is the navy is what you really want, apply now. If you get accepted suffer for one year, while partying on the weekend with the awesome money your making. I have so much fun outside of class that I don't mind a little suffering, plus I figure there is going to be some suck in the navy that I need to learn to deal with anyways.

If your don't get accepted, change majors, try to raise your GPA and other areas of your packet. Hope there is a easier board coming up.

First to reinforce your original question, you can change your major anytime to anything and still apply for BDCP. Once your in BDCP its a different story however.

Just my .02 Cents, Good luck.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Also to add, if you do decide to stay with your major, make a academic plan where it takes you three semesters and add in some art classes to you can have a little fun in class as well. Thats what I do. I have my dull classes and then my fun classes. Rock climbing, surfing, scuba, etc.

blarged

ready
Yup, I'm going to agree with you Afterburner. My perspective for the OP was not-in-Navy yet so make sure you have a backup plan you enjoy. But he does have time. So close to the end of the degree, might as well pursue the Navy career and suffer the minimal time. If not accepted or the such, then change degrees.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
That being said I'm staying in this major and going to graduate with it because in a year it will be over, in a year I will start a long 20+ year career that I have dreamed of. I don't want to wait an extra year to begin this career, I don't want to pay an extra year of tuition for this major that I wont use again anyways (not that I'm actually learning anything).
Not to mention that you can't change your major and stay an extra year even if you wanted to, so it's not exactly your decision anymore anyway... :)

Pihkal

I want to stay in college a little longer. If i get BDCP can I take filler classes like intro to soccer to extend my time to 2 years?

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Just remember your academic degree completion plan is submitted with your bdcp application for review, so I doubt a ton of extra BS classes is going to make you more appealing as an officer candidate.

pmasters

The only thing I would worry about with changing your major is competativeness in terms of the community(ies) for which you apply. You apply to BDCP, yes, but you are evaluted by a board in each individual community that you apply to. Different communities have different acceptance standards.

If you're borderline on GPA, which you are with a 2.88, you might consider trying to shine academically as well to improve your hopefully otherwise-good application package. Maybe complete your major since you're probably close to doing so and pick up that art major as a second one. I can garauntee that will look better on an application, and will probably serve you better in the future.

For the record, I feel you on the crappy major deal. I'm an Econ/PS major and its a load of BS which I can't stand. I suffer through the awful classes and even more awful classmates and get my academic fixes through places like the library, the inter-web and elective astronomy and physics classes and whatnot.

Best of luck with getting into BDCP.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I want to stay in college a little longer. If i get BDCP can I take filler classes like intro to soccer to extend my time to 2 years?

Where the hell do you guys go to school and have classes like Intro to Soccer, Scuba diving and surfing???

Michigan DOES NOT have classes like that. Easiest BS class we had/have on campus is "Stats 350 - Intro to Statistics" and that shit is calc based.

Pihkal

Just remember your academic degree completion plan is submitted with your bdcp application for review, so I doubt a ton of extra BS classes is going to make you more appealing as an officer candidate.

Would a second major look good?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

That's why you just write in ELECTIVE. :D

Where the hell do you guys go to school and have classes like Intro to Soccer, Scuba diving and surfing???

Michigan DOES NOT have classes like that. Easiest BS class we had/have on campus is "Stats 350 - Intro to Statistics" and that shit is calc based.

I'm taking Tennis and Golf. :D

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Not to mention that you can't change your major and stay an extra year even if you wanted to, so it's not exactly your decision anymore anyway... :)

Very true, I wanted to switch before I even got accepted though, I was half a semester into my junior year. Didn't want to hold up the BDCP process and I'm glad I didn't. Now I get to "enjoy" this major whether I would like to or not. But, I'm sure I'm not the first.

Monterey Bay. Its a converted, abandoned, army base that used to be Fort Ord. The school still has unexploded ordinances laying around. When I go to the beach I can find riffle casings and spent rounds. It's kind of awesome.

BUDU

Bucknell has "Math from a Humanist Perspective"...pretty much a history of math class where they just...talk. No problem sets. Instead, they write papers. And it fulfills the math requirement.