• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

June OCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tflexxin

Hey, I'm putting together my package now for the June 03 OCC class. Anyone else looking into that one? I am shooting for an Air contract, but could be tough with my age, 32. The OSO has not yet told me that is absolutely is not possible, so I'm shooting for that. Although, the ultimate goal is to rejoin the worlds finest fighting force, so I'll take what they have to offer. I've also been told that there are quite often slots available for air in TBS due to attrition, drops, and some who drop their air contract and want to go infantry.

budaploud

i am taking my ASTB tomorrow morning...then i'm off to New River for my flight physical. hope that i get a spot for the june ocs aviation. i don't know what to say about your age...i guess your recruiter will let you know about that...good luck and i hope to see you in quantico in june '03.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I graduated TBS in June. There weren't many aviation slots (around six I think?). I don't believe it was very competitive for them though. We did have a couple of Marines drop their av. contracts there, but they didn't roll over into the MOS selection. If you aren't too concerned then your route/approach is fine. But, if you want to fly really, really, really bad, like most of us, then get that contract in hand before accepting that commission! Good luck!

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Some actually dropped their contracts? What MOS did they get?

Never heard of such a thing.

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I know my roommate got Comm. His OSO pretty much forced him to go for the air contract (although he expressed that he had no desire to fly) which a lot of OSO's tend to push the air contract thing anyway. He really had to jump through hoops to drop it, but he still got the MOS that he wanted.

tflexxin

what about the Sgt Instructors, do they treat you like boot camp, with talking in the third person, bending for making mistakes,etc? Or is it a more professional situation?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I think Sgt Instructors are all previous Drill Instructors. So, you can imagine. That was the hardest part for me. Having "been there done that" and still having to go through all the BS again. What was really embarrassing was having to play those stupid little games ("nope, sit down; too slow, stand up; nope, sit down; too slow, stand up...."). Instead of going to the pit, you write essays. Having written several, I would MUCH rather go to the pit and get smoked for a few minutes!

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
boomer, I didn't know you were a prior...when did you go to boot? what mos?

I went 09/12/94 0341 West Coast

Yeah, it definatly sucked the second and THIRD time around. I had to do the 2 summer thing.

Not to mention, you have to use your sleep time to write your essay. Sleep depravation was what I thought was the worst part. It slows down recovery time from your intense PT sessions.
Yes, they are all prior DI's, even the Co GySgt and the Co 1st Sgt. They have all done at least one tour on the drill field.

Dirty Harry

tflexxin

Great! I was hoping for a little more professional environment. Ce la vie! At least it's only 10 weeks, and the result is a little more inspiring that becoming a PFC making 950$ a month!

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Oh yeah. It's way worth it. After the first 2 weeks there is no more "transition training" and you'll fall into a pretty good routine. Then time will really fly by.

Dirty Harry

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
and... I think it is a little more professional than boot. Just a little though. Its still a training environment.

tflexxin

Gotcha hard charger. Thanks for the good info. Hope work at manpower is not too boring. Can you look up a dame for me in outlook? Gysgt Daniel P Flint. The number from Marine online is detachment in Bangor Wa, and nobody knew who he was. SO if and when you get liberty in OCC, what were you able to do, where could you go. I imagine that provided a much needed break from training, and that can make all the difference/

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Will do, I'll get back to you about the name.

A few times, me and a bud went in halves on a motel room and got a couple of pizza's and did a little studying. It was nice just being off my feet for once. I also spent several hours on the phone with my wife back in Tx. First thing I did when liberty was sounded was go to Q-Town and get some coffee. I don't know how I lived that long without coffee!!! I remember walking in the chow hall every morning smelling it, and seeing the Staff walk around holding a cup. grrrrrrrrrr, I hated that : )

Dirty Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.