• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

June 2010 Boards

ryan1234

I was a pro-reject for the June Boards.... congrats to those who got the selects! Solid stats from all of you all...

And for any of you that got the disappointing words: Never say die! Keep on applying! Service in the military as an officer (or in any way) is an amazing privilege to be able to do.

Chachi

pilot
Contributor
Hello everyone,

As mentioned a couple of posts up, I was pro rec'd for Pilot in this months board. I still can't believe this is true...

I am so excited about this that I can't avoid writing my story, especially as an inspiration for those who were not selected in this or previous boards. In no way am I trying to show off... Rather, I want to show you something that all of you already know: that if you really want something in life and you put your mind, time and soul into it, anything can be achieved.

Born and brought up in Santa Barbara, CA, at the age of 10 I moved to Spain with my family and ended up going through high school and college there. In June 2008 I graduated from college and started working for an accounting firm in Madrid. One month of work at this place was enough for me to realize that I had to fight for what I had always wanted to be: A military pilot.

I started doing research (this is back in Nov 2008) into the Air Force and contacted the Air Force bases in Italy (Aviano) and Germany (Ramstein) but the recruiters there literally ignored me. "You need a degree in Aeronautics in order to be a pilot" was all that I heard. I knew as a fact that this was BS and kept pushing and asking but no luck... I decided therefore to contact a recruiter in California, close to where my parents were spending a sabbatical from work in Spain. He was very helpful and showed a lot of interest in helping me out. I then started the application process with the obvious disadvantage of doing it from abroad and having to deal with a foreign degree... moreover, studying for the AFOQT (the equivalent to the Navy ASTB) wasn't easy with my long working hours as an accountant.

June 2009 arrived and I found myself with a couple of weeks of vacation ahead of me. What did I do during my vacation? I flew from Spain to Nor Cal to finish up my application: Officer Interview, take the AFOQT and TBAS, go through MEPS for the medical physical and sign all paperwork. I flew back to Spain in mid July with my side of the job done but with 5 months of waiting ahead of me. These were the 5 longest months of my life...

On December 4th 2009 the board results were out but I never heard anything from my recruiter. It was all too obvious that his silence was equivalent to a non-select. This was confirmed three days later when I received an email from my recruiter with the news...

The day after receiving his email I decided to resign from my job as an accountant in order to move back to the US so as to dedicate myself completely to applying both to the Navy and Air Force. My last day at work was Christmas Eve of 2009.

I arrived in Los Angeles on February 7th 2010 leaving behind my job, family, friends and girl friend (we are still dating and the distance has made me love her more each day... but it's not easy) and with the goal of becoming a pilot still in my head.

I took the ASTB on March 22nd at the LANRD and to my delight I scored a 7/7/9 60 after one month of intense studying. With the experience from the application to the Air Force, I finished the Navy application in under one month with 9 LOR's and my package was sent in for the May Boards. Unfortunately, my package mas moved to the June Boards due to the unexpected flood in Millington and an extra month of waiting was still ahead...

On Monday I got the call and couldn't believe it... it's been one year and a half of hard work, perseverance and hope. Also, I can tell you that I have never prayed more in my life for an intention than for this one.

I congratulate all those who have been selected and once again REALLY encourage those non-selects to try and try again until there is objectively nothing else you can do. I know what you feel like but don't let this get you down!

Finally, in reference to the motivational statement, open up and be sincere with what you say. Make it sound good but ultimately, there is no point in writing what you think the board wants to hear. I am positive they value sincerity and want to hear the truth about what makes you want to be a Navy Officer and Pilot.

All the best and good luck!

ryan1234

Joe,
Congrats!!!
Great story - it's very encouraging. Good luck with the final select, OCS, and flight school!

Willyb153

Has anyone heard of any results for Supply? Didnt get picked up for SWO, still holding a little onto a little hope for Supply. Congrats to everyone who got pro-rec'd this month.

Lucy

Oops just noticed my auto spell messed up. Intel names are at nyusn.blogspot.com. not at what posted before

gstapes12

BDCP FS Pilot
any June pro-rec's get through MEPS yet?

Also, I broke my collar bone when I was twelve and MEPS wants documentation for it. Does everybody have to provide doc's and x-ray's for broken bones even if they were 8 years ago?

From my experience, they want documentation for just about everything except childhood chicken pox. Half of us in the room fixed our answer for that when they told us.

WEGL12

VT-28
any June pro-rec's get through MEPS yet?

Also, I broke my collar bone when I was twelve and MEPS wants documentation for it. Does everybody have to provide doc's and x-ray's for broken bones even if they were 8 years ago?

I broke my collar bone around 7 years ago also. My recruiter said they just want a statement from a doctor explaining I had no long term effects from it. I asked about the x-rays and he said they weren't needed. He said they may not ask for anything since it was so long ago. If they need a statement I plan to get my doctor to write a letter saying that it completely healed.

I should be going to MEPS in the next two weeks. PRT is scheduled for the same day as MEPS. According to my recruiter, I should have a final select letter by early August. He says selectees for BDCP tend to get final select letters within three weeks of MEPS and PRT.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
Whoo Hoo, just got pro rec'ed for Supply! The results are out and posted on the NY blog website. Unless I fat fingered it, 26 out of 238 were selected. Good Luck all!

leigh321

AH! I was Pro Rec'ed for Supply and SWO... I can FINALLY post my stats

20/BDCP candidate

Finance/Spanish major from a top 50 university
3.88 GPA (President’s Honor Roll, Dean’s List)
1400 SAT
58 OAR (took once)
3 LORS: all from professors that knew me pretty well

-Worked full-time at a VA medical center for 2 summers
-Have held a part-time job since I was 16
-Lots of extracurriculars:

VP of Finance w/ my business fraternity
Clinton Global Initiative Volunteer
Wake Boarding Club Treasurer
Hillel Foundation: Freshmenfest facilitator, Mentoring Program participant
Honors Student Association
Dean’s Scholarship recipient
Several random "scholar" awards
Received a Sobresaliente (highest mark) in impromptu and recitation at the State Spanish Conference
First Place Freshmen Group in university's Research and Creativity Forum
...a couple other random activities/awards

I put a lot of time into my motivational statement; I thought it was pretty good... but then again who doesn't.

**HOWEVER** I just received word from my recruiter yesterday that there is a problem with my vision? I was initially cleared from MEPS without a problem, but now they're saying that my eyesight is an issue? So I have scheduled an appointment with an optometrist. I wear contacts and have a slight stigmatism (spelling?) but it's correctable to 20/20... hopefully I'll be cleared. I don't know what I'll do otherwise...

leigh321

I'm assuming I didn't get it; I wasn't one of the 9 names listed on the ny blog. However, I was listed as a Pro Rec fro Supply and SWO (my 1st and 3rd choices). Did you get it?