• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

June 2010 Boards

WEGL12

VT-28
Danielsw 25: I have the same mindset as you do. I want to increase my odds in every way possible. If it is possible try to get one more LOR or do an interview. That way you have more than three letters and you are above the minimum number. I asked my recruiter about an interview but he said I didn’t need it. He said since I have several officers write me recommendations, it takes the place of an interview. I wouldn’t recommend retaking the ASTB but I understand where you are coming from. You scored above the average from the March board. Link:http://nyusn.blogspot.com/2010_04_14_archive.html As for studying for the ASTB, I honestly treated it like I was preparing for a final exam. I studied each night for three or four weeks. I used the marine gouge, all the study guides, the FAA manual and information found on this website (atrickpay personal study guide is a good one). But with a 7/8/8 I would not recommend retaking because you risk scoring lower and ruining your score. Just my opinion though.

James23: Thanks, I am hoping the selection board views it that way also. I am just worried that attending a community college will sink my application but you never know.

A

AlexSmart

I studied for several months prior. I have listed all of my study materials on the ASTB thread as well as some good links.

Thanks for the information citadel. I am going to look into the interview process. Another letter couldn't hurt, especially from military personnel. Only problem for me is that I am currently in Alaska, so it is going to have to be Air Force or Army as there isn't exactly a Navy presence up here.

I agree with you on the test scores, I wasn't planning on retaking the test. I am bit disappointed in myself as I have never been a good studier and I know that had I been able to apply myself better, I could have potentially scored higher. I know I missed two questions I should have got right, one being the designation for a carrier (cvn) which I had been discussing with the proctor for the test right beforehadn, and a VERY stupid one that was actually in my note cards, squak code for communication failure. Kicking myself because those two questions might have landed me an 8 in my pilot score.

The recruiter mentioned that a 63 was great and could really help. My first test without preparation I only scored a 56 and when we were discussing the second scores, he said that even a 59 (the competitive profile for pilot applicants), while great, is still read as scoring in the 50s. He said even one point higher to land you in the 60s is a huge bonus and sets you apart from other applicants. So I am glad I did that at least. *edit* That link was insightful. It confirms what the recruiter told me too, with the average scores for selects in SNA is an even 60.

I don't see how attending a community college will hurt you. If anything, I would personally view it as you are doing anything you can to further your education, with community college being a stepping stone. I started at the University of Oregon but I was paying out of state tuition and putting myself through school, so I actually did a year of community too.

So it looks like there are four of us so far for June?

WEGL12

VT-28
I missed the same question about the communication failure. I looked over the information about an hour before I took the test too. Stupid mistakes like that are really frustrating. My recruiter also stated that scoring in the 60s can give an application a huge boost. However, I was under the impression the OAR score was not as important for aviation candidates. But I am probably wrong with that assumption. With the LORs I believe any letter from an officer will have a positive impact and I know it can’t hurt. So if you can get one to write you a letter I would definitely pursue that. I agree that community college can be viewed as a stepping stone towards my degree. I picked the community college route because it allowed me to work full time during the day and take a full semester at night. Plus the community college I am attending has a direct engineering transfer degree which offers the courses I need for Auburn.

USAdefender

GO STATE!!!
Maybe some one can help me with this. My recruiter won't let me apply until September because he says the navy is completely full until then. I want to apply for the June board, but he won't put it through. What should I do?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Maybe some one can help me with this. My recruiter won't let me apply until September because he says the navy is completely full until then. I want to apply for the June board, but he won't put it through. What should I do?

Maybe the job you are applying for is completely full but I doubt it. It could be the jobs you are selecting only meet two times a year but I still believe they meet in Jan and July. If you are applying for a job that you know meets every month then I would say try a different recruiter. Have you taking the ASTB yet? If you scored poorly he may not think its worth his time thus you have to prove to him that you are. Also, get as much of your package together that you can and go into an OR's office and say here I need you to review then submit this to the boards. You can find most of the forms online if you can't look on here or PM me and I can send you some of the ones you don't have or can't find.

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
Neither my recruiter nor my processor have mentioned anything about this. I'm going to finish up my paperwork on Tuesday, I'll ask them if they know any reason why this would be true.

WEGL12

VT-28
Geez 7 LOR's?? A bit overkill IMO

It may be overkill but if it helps my package it is worth it. Plus each person that wrote a letter, I know very well. All the letters take a unique approach in describing my traits which I think may be useful.

I had 7 LOR's as well. Come to think of it, each of them wrote something completely different about me. Whether their personal traits leaned toward character, accomplishments, responsibility, reliability, etc. affected how they wrote their letters. I think it helps give a more complete image of yourself.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Hello fellow June board members,

I too will be applying for the June board, for the BDCP. I've been putting my packet together for a couple of weeks now, and I've assembled most of what I need, short of my commanding officer's letter of recommendation.

My academic statistics aren't quite as high as some other people's, but I'm hoping that I have a well rounded package.

ASTB: 7/8/8 59
GPA: 2.95
Major: Airway Science - Professional Pilot and Technology Management
Ratings: Private pilot certificate with instrument rating. I should have my commercial certificate and multi engine rating by August.
Extras: I've had a significant amount of leadership experience through the Army Reserve, through two deployments to Iraq as well as numerous leadership positions on my college campus.

The one downfall of mine is my age. I'm 27, which is going to require a waiver. I'm hoping that a waiver will be approved, given my prior service and aviation background.

Are any of you guys in need of an age waiver?

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Well, I'm happy knowing that I'm not the only old fart applying!

flygurl

Are interviews required now? When I applied back in November they weren't. I have waited the 6 months and I am up to reapply. What are the requirements now? I cannot get in touch with my recruiter and would like to know what I have to do in order to re-apply for SWO. Thanks.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
I don't know if it's required for the SWO process or not. Applying for the SNA position, i'm required to interview with two senior aviators, per my recruiter.