• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jumping ship … possibly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
I am sure you are all aware of what is going on in the navy. Because of all of this I have put in my application to the coast guard. I am just wounding what Coastie OCS is like as opposed to Navy. Or if you have any advice in general. Thanks

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Huh? You're already IN flight school and looking at going Coast Guard? What's the deal?

Falcaner

Actually I not in flight school anymore. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to finish. But because of this I fell under the message, which by the way now also pertains to all including ROTC and academy. But at any rate I was released from active duty in October so not only am I no longer in flight school I am not even on active duty. So I am looking at ways to continue service that is not active duty navy. So that’s my story.

Stephen

Hey Man I know what you mean. I just got my pink slip last weds. and I had put on LTJG taht monday. And the news has finally reached the navy times, 418 JO's surprise separations, and they are talking no severance pay either. Sometimes it makes you want to say F@#K the Navy. But what can you do you know? I'm looking at the Air Force better qaulity of life, and NCIS. As for the Coast Gaurd they are now under the department of homeland defense, pretty good organization to be under.
Good Luck to you.
LTJG HALL

rick21

Hey Falcaner, I just wanted to give you a heads up about Coast gaurd OCS. The Coast Gaurd doesn't have an OCS of their own so they send all of their Officer Candidates to attend Navy OCS in Pensacola. Also, good luck with whichever way you decide to go.

version2point0

yeah... i have never heard of that either... i thought coast guard were trained like police, or swat, or firemen, just on water.

er... yeah. you get what i mean.

-v2.0

jkendallallen

Sorry, I may be a little out of the loop, but what exactly does, "you know what is going on in the navy mean?" Something we need to be concerned with?

rick21

Hmm, sorry about that. I was talking to a few pilots at the Coast Gaurd base here in Mobile and they told me that they do API and primary in Pensacola along with the Navy not OCS. My bad guys.

version2point0

when someone says "everything that going on with the navy" they are referring to the lay-offs because of retention. search for posts about 418 officers being let go because the navy cant afford to pay them anymore.

-v2.0

Falcaner

Just thought I would give you guys an update. I am waiting to hear about the March OCS class. Originally I thought I would hear about the first of the year. Then about the 26th of this month, now it going to be the second week in February. I am wondering if i am just getting bad gouge from my recruiter or if it the coast guard changing their minds? But I will let you know what the eventual answer is.

tgs022

I am applying for OCS this fall. Im a non-prior civie with some flight time looking for a pilot slot. I'm done college and on 8/25 will begin training at Pan Am International Flight Academy. I'm married with 2 kids and yes they are coming with me. We're just packing up and moving to Vero Beach Fl, from Philadelphia! :eek:

I found out that I qualify for the "Blue 21" program so I'm pretty excited. I need to get an age waiver though. I just turned 28 in March.

I'm going to be submitting my package in Nov. Does anyone have any idea when the next OCS class is? I remember my recruiter, (who is fantastic), mentioning something about 4/2005. Of course if I get accepted, Im dropping out of Pan Am right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.