• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Judges hold no rank in military chain of command

VIZKRIEG

KILL
How exactly are these environmentalists monitoring sonar use by the USN? I hope the senior leadership involved is not going to pander to these ridiculous lawsuits at the expense of national security.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, if the military is breaking the law then why shouldn't judges can step in?

I think the Op-ed piece missies the real point, that the law itself probably needs to be changed instead of blaming the judge in this case, get to the root of the problem. And just for the record, I do not agree with the decision by the judge.

I have quite a low opinion of Phyllis Schlafly, who has advocated impeachement of a sitting Supreme Court justice for voting to ban the execution of minors and has made the some pretty idiotic comments otherwise:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38308-2005Apr8.html

http://www.sunjournal.com/story/205234-3/LewistonAuburn/Schlafly_cranks_up_agitation_at_Bates/#

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
If only they knew how much gas we dump in the ocean on a daily basis. I'd like to see them enforce this.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
If only they knew how much gas we dump in the ocean on a daily basis. I'd like to see them enforce this.

Ssssssshhhh...exnay on the asgay.

The science behind many environmentalists claims seems pretty spurious. I think it's best to adopt the approach loggers use:

Smile and nod, and just move the cuts to the far side of the ridge, where you can't see them from the highway.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Phyllis Schlafly--as I recall, she also believes that no mother should ever work while her precious children need their mommy--until they are eighteen. Isn't she pro-shotgun weddings for the knocked up?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would disagree with her in that the Navy does technically have to listen to state environmental authorities under the Coastal Zone Management Act, but in this case the CZMA also allows the president to make exceptions in the name of national defense. Bush did this back in January, yet the courts are trying to overrule him again. I'd like to see how they can win this one.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I would disagree with her in that the Navy does technically have to listen to state environmental authorities under the Coastal Zone Management Act, but in this case the CZMA also allows the president to make exceptions in the name of national defense. Bush did this back in January, yet the courts are trying to overrule him again. I'd like to see how they can win this one.

Well they can start by issuing bench warrants for the CO's, XO's and other personnel of ships that violate the ruling. Don't laugh. It is just a matter of how far they want to push it. Ship goes out, uses it's sonar and the CO is arrested the next time he leaves the base.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
That editorial is ridiculous. She has uncited pronouncement and speculation everywhere, doesn't understand the military issue at hand (shocker!) and finally equates nearly everyone with a left of center viewpoint to everyone else left of center. Crapola.

Apparently environmental groups = enemies of our armed forces = liberals = ????...:sleep_125

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Well they can start by issuing bench warrants for the CO's, XO's and other personnel of ships that violate the ruling. Don't laugh. It is just a matter of how far they want to push it. Ship goes out, uses it's sonar and the CO is arrested the next time he leaves the base.

If it takes place in international waters?

Lawman

None
If it takes place in international waters?

Probably fall under some sort of soverignty rights being its a US flagged vessel. Sorta like how you cant just get into a boat, go out to international waters, kill somebody, and not get charged with murder when you come back in.