• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Judge Orders Release of PIR's

Lawman

None
"Please, tell us everything. We're all on the same side here. This will in no way come back to haunt you."

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
This will be horrible, along the lines of mishap board info getting forwarded to the JAG.

However, the judge may not have had a choice. I imagine the FAA instituted this program in-house under its own regulatory authority, with no specific statute from Congress protecting the information gathered. The plantiffs probably had a fair legal argument to have the information disclosed. Unfortunately, this is one of the after effects, and I'm sure Congress will never ante up the sack to protect said info. Imagine the headlines,"Congress passes law to shield incompetent airline crews from civil liability."

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
"Oh ..hey thanks for than AnyMouse you submitted there Bob. What? Yeah sorry about that bleeding from me poking you in the eye with it."

Huggy Bear

pilot
This will be horrible, along the lines of mishap board info getting forwarded to the JAG.

However, the judge may not have had a choice. I imagine the FAA instituted this program in-house under its own regulatory authority, with no specific statute from Congress protecting the information gathered. The plantiffs probably had a fair legal argument to have the information disclosed. Unfortunately, this is one of the after effects, and I'm sure Congress will never ante up the sack to protect said info. Imagine the headlines,"Congress passes law to shield incompetent airline crews from civil liability."

Good point. They are too shortsighted to see that this program will drastically improve safety in the long run, even if it may cause some families heartburn in the short term.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
In many jurisdictions overseas, you are ALREADY considered liable and a potential criminal when you crash & burn (and survive) .... the cops are amongst the first to arrive at the crash scene.

I can see a general trend here; what with too many lawyers and too many people trying to run our lives ... ???

Lawman

None
In many jurisdictions overseas, you are ALREADY considered liable and a potential criminal when you crash & burn (and survive) .... the cops are amongst the first to arrive at the crash scene.

I can see a general trend here; what with too many lawyers and too many people trying to run our lives ... ???

Sknyliv airshow disaster

"On June 24, 2005, a military court sentenced Toponar and co-pilot Yuriy Yegorov to fourteen and eight years in prison, respectively. The court found the two pilots and three other military officials guilty of failing to follow orders, negligence and violating flight rules. Two of the three officials were sentenced to up to six years in prison, and the last official received up to four years. In addition, Toponar was ordered to pay 7.2 million hryvnia ($1.42 million; €1.18 million) in compensation to the families, and Yegorov another 2.5 million hryvnia."

Now granted it could be argued that these guys were in fact "Flathatting" and did through their actions put the crowd at unneccesary risk and result in the deadliest crash in Air Show history. But still, damn.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... it is a different world overseas.
And let me re-emphasize --- overseas you are guilty until proven innocent in most cases. Completely ass backwards.

Whether you hire a cab or whether you fly da' plane ... and are doin' EXACTLY what you are suppose to be doin' ... you are "responsible and liable" for any associated problems.

God Bless America. For now .... :icon_wink

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sknyliv airshow disasterNow granted it could be argued that these guys were in fact "Flathatting" and did through their actions put the crowd at unneccesary risk and result in the deadliest crash in Air Show history. But still, damn.

What those guys did was entirely different from most airline crashes.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9806/16/marine.cablecar/
The Prowler crew was close to being arrested by the Italians(one of the crew is the source of this), it is a different world overseas.

One of the crew was an instructor at VT-86 when I went through and he briefed the squadron on the whole experience at a squadron only safety standdown. If I remember correctly, they were held by the Italians for a few hours before they were handed back over to the Marines. He was pretty explicit that the Marine COC cut them loose without any help from the beginning to the end, he was understandably a bit bitter with the Marines about the whole experience.

He also said that it was the only accident he ever heard of that did not have a safety investigation. From what I remember, he said that the Safety Center sent someone to Italy and soon after he arrived he had a meeting with a Marine MGEN that told him that he was to turn over all of the results of the investigation to him, for possible use in the JAG and Italian police investigations. The Safety guys refused and eventually left without investigating because the Center did not want to compromise the sanctity of of a safety investigation. HeyJoe might be able to shed more light on that, but he was pretty clear about it.

On a side note, he was one of the best instructors I ever had in my time in flight school.

Lawman

None
What those guys did was entirely different from most airline crashes.

Oh Im just saying that while there is a fine line between negligence and stupidity the end results may be and often are the same.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
One of the crew was an instructor at VT-86 when I went through and he briefed the squadron on the whole experience at a squadron only safety standdown. If I remember correctly, they were held by the Italians for a few hours before they were handed back over to the Marines. He was pretty explicit that the Marine COC cut them loose without any help from the beginning to the end, he was understandably a bit bitter with the Marines about the whole experience.

He also said that it was the only accident he ever heard of that did not have a safety investigation. From what I remember, he said that the Safety Center sent someone to Italy and soon after he arrived he had a meeting with a Marine MGEN that told him that he was to turn over all of the results of the investigation to him, for possible use in the JAG and Italian police investigations. The Safety guys refused and eventually left without investigating because the Center did not want to compromise the sanctity of of a safety investigation. HeyJoe might be able to shed more light on that, but he was pretty clear about it.

On a side note, he was one of the best instructors I ever had in my time in flight school.
I was referring to that specific AOM.:D