• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JSF = more pilot slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenny

Hi all,
somewhere on the internet I found out that first mission ready JSF should come out in 2008. Training time for SNA through STA-21 is approximately three years in college and than flight training. The way I see it, is there a higher chance of getting selected this time, because of potential need of increased number of pilots in USN with new JSF? Most of the 06 STA selectees will graduate in 2008, ready to begin flight training on JSF ... if JSF will be part of the Navy then.
Any info or input on that?
ahadu

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was at the JSF Flight Demonstration Center in DC two weeks ago and heard an IOC of 2013.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the JSF is supposed to replace the Baby Hornets. That shouldn't increase any "slots".

B

Blutonski816

I thinks it's too early to ponder how the JSF will open up Pilot slots (or not).

Besides, 2008 is mostly wishful thinking. Schnuggapup's number is definitley a lot more realistic (although still a little Optimistic, IMO)

PropStop said:
So will it improve my chacnes of getting jets?
If they actually name it "Musketeer" (like someone mentioned on this forum a while back) you can count on a lot of studs selecting Props/Helos to avoid having to fly something with a name like that....

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Blutonski816 said:
If they actually name it "Musketeer" (like someone mentioned on this forum a while back) you can count on a lot of studs selecting Props/Helos to avoid having to fly something with a name like that....

As opposed to what, "Growler"?

All the good names are gone. Names like "Intruder" and "Prowler". 500' at night violating some other country's airspace. Yeah, baby. :icon_smil

Now those new names just remind me to go take a growler and hopefully, it will be bigger than a musketeer.

B

Blutonski816

SteveG75 said:

All the good names are gone.

"Just call 'em 'New guys'..."

"'New 1,' 'New 2.'"
:D

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe he was thinking about the F-22....isnt it already at IOC?...sort of....

Establishment of the initial Operational Wing would take place over a period of approximately 5 years and would involve the basing of 72 operational F-22 aircraft, along with the personnel needed to operate and maintain the aircraft and associated facilities for advanced training. The beddown of the 72-aircraft Operational Wing would take place in the following stages:
  • 1st Operational Squadron in September 2004 to August 2005
  • 2nd Operational Squadron in September 2005 to June 2006
  • 3rd Operational Squadron in September 2006 to June 2007

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
SteveG75 said:

All the good names are gone. Names like "Intruder" and "Prowler". 500' at night violating some other country's airspace. Yeah, baby. :icon_smil

Now those new names just remind me to go take a growler and hopefully, it will be bigger than a musketeer.

Question, why not just recycle the names? They do on ships...

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
fc2spyguy said:

I'm thinking that the military has been affected by politcal correctness, as an outsider looking in. I mean, things like "Intruder," "Crusader," and "Skyraider" aren't going to fly these days in the eyes of the government, especially because we don't want to be seen as conquerors of the countries we are helping in the War on Terror.

Instead, they've been replaced with "Spirit" and "Musketeer," names which are probably a little more outwardly friendly, which, we must ask ourselves is right for the military?

Anyways, I don't think "Musketeer" is too bad. I mean, it's along the lines of "all for one and one for all," and can be applied to people within the military, and the job that it's currently doing.

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fc2spyguy said:

Sometimes they do...T-6II Texan is one example.

The original T-6 trainer..
t6-22.jpg

The new T-6II..
JPATS.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnuggapup said:
I was at the JSF Flight Demonstration Center in DC two weeks ago and heard an IOC of 2013.
Sounds a little more realistic.

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well just 'cause the name is PC doesn't mean that's what it's going to end up getting called. For example, please tell me the last time you heard anyone who knew anything about aviation refer to our AF brethren's A-10s as "Thunderbolt IIs . . ."

Status
Not open for further replies.