• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Joint Strike Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The Pentagon chose the Lockheed-Martin X-35 over the Being Version of the JSF. This made me smile as I thought the Boeing version was a tad UGLY. It looked like a whale. Not that I am all about looks. However the LM version looks sleek and mean. The brass says it will be online by 2008. I dont know if that will happen or not, my only hope is that one day my name will be painted on the side of one.

Dave

SNA Russell

Dave,

I too was hoping that Lockheed Martin would win the contract. I've heard some good things about the JSF that they submitted. I think 2008 is an ambitious goal. As with all other government run operations, they're usually always over budget and behind in the schedule. We can always hope though.

-Rory

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
I'm not so sure about the time line. In 1976 the USAF choose the F16 over the F18. THe plane was in service in 1979 and by 1981 had a large numbr in the AF. Hopefully Lockheed can get on the ball. I am fairly confident that LM bought out General Dynamics and have the F16 plant down in TX. Wonder if the will use this line for the JSF.

Dave

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Is the Ft Worth facility large enough to do the F16 and the JSF. I am curious because I cant see LM stopping the production of the F16 when they are selling them to other countries.

Dave

ASUPilot

Dave,

I don't know what the Fort Worth LM facility is going to do to handle the JSF production simultaneously with Viper production. All I know is that they are going to make it work...I have a few freinds in the D/FW area who are Captains at American Eagle and they've said that the area is stoked beyond belief with the contract news.

ASUPilot

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Like DFW, the Atlanta area is stoked about Lockheed getting the JSF contract. From the speculation I've heard, the DFW plant will eventually transition from the F-16 to the X-35 (F/A-35?). The Lockheed plant here in Marietta is slated to build the F-22, which is the F-16's replacement.

Remember, this is just scuttlebutt.

ASUPilot

The Raptor is not the replacement for the Viper. The Raptor is replacing the Eagle. The JSF is replacing the Viper. Remember, the Eagle is an expensive air superiority fighter, hence, the Raptor as a replacement (EXPENSIVE/air superiority). The Viper is a relatively inexpensive multi-role aircraft (for all intents and purposes), hence, the JSF as a replacement (an all new, inexpensive multi-role aircraft).

ASUPilot

penderwt

yut king
will I have a shot at the X-35???

I'm a marine officer candidate, on track to be at TBS summer/fall 2007...does that put me in the timeframe to be among the first JSF pilots, or will it go to higher brass first??? i hope this post doesn't make me sound like too big an idiot. I'm a wannabe, go easy on me.

Hudson

They have to reduce the weight. There have been reports that it is to heavy right now. Aside from that you still have a ways to go. Your best bet would be to go harriers and hope your squadron transfers to the JSF when it does come on line.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My understanding is that for Marines, they will transition AV-8B Harrier pilots and for the Navy, they will transition F/A-18E/F Super Hornet Pilots....So you might want to think about AV-8B's....
ea6bflyr

penderwt said:
I'm a marine officer candidate, on track to be at TBS summer/fall 2007...does that put me in the timeframe to be among the first JSF pilots, or will it go to higher brass first??? i hope this post doesn't make me sound like too big an idiot. I'm a wannabe, go easy on me.

riley

Latest schedule for the JSF (as described by Aerospace Daily):

To answer penderwt's question, it sounds like the F-35 will come online too late for your first tour.

[Aerospace Daily & Defense Report, June 21, 2004]

The Defense Department is expected to announce within a week or so that a Defense Acquisition Board (DAB) has formally approved a series of delays for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. The delays, which have been revealed over the past several months, are intended to give the program more time to fix lingering weight problems. The schedule changes would move the first critical design review from April 2004 to the October-December quarter of 2005, move the first test flight from October 2005 to August 2006, and shift the start of low-rate production from 2006 to 2007. The initial operational capability (IOC) dates also would change: from 2010 to 2012 for the Marine Corps; from 2011 to 2013 for the Air Force; and from 2012 to 2013 for the Navy.

Status
Not open for further replies.