• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Joint ROTC military center

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
I am a Midn (Marine Option) at USF, Tampa. I just heard that Congress gave my school 6 million dollars to start a Tri-ROTC military program. They hired a Colonal to be the commander of the program, but i dont think he will be superior to the three CO's of the ROTC units. Anyway, Our school is the first to start this program, and hopefully it will be a model for other schools. They are going to focus on all services learning to work together and learning the skills of each service (Navy learn AF stuff, Army learn Marine Stuff, etc). This is due to the extreme amount of Jointness in todays military. I think it sounds interesting, they are going to build us a new building with state of the art equipment, and hopefully congress will continue to pump money into our program. I just hope it doesnt turn into a Corps of Cadets!

Jagges

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Cool from the funding side of it and the "joint training."

However, I can see the gayness allready. Our school had all the ROTC's there, I cannot imagine doing stuff with the AF side of the house when it came to training. There were days when they would run around with their hair dyed pink, yellow and red face paint and capes on (I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP.)

Also they all learned leadership from the management text book, instead of the leader work book.... I hope it goes well for you, but god, I think I would shoot myself.

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
I'm gonna agree with what bch said. At GT we had all three ROTCs, and there was definitely animosity between the Navy and AF programs. And it wasn't some friendly jiving, I honestly thought the AF cadets were a bunch of unprofessional sissies (though they probably thought the same of us) :dopey_125

I think the animosity reached a high when we nearly got into a brawl during a friendly field meet competition soccer match.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Personally, the only upside I can see is funding. Regardless of joint ops, the services operate differently. Let them learn how their own services do things before trying to make them learn the others. Hell, it's not like they teach tactics, so what kind of joint training are they going to do exactly? Leadership? A Joint class on seapower or something? Stupid. Weapon systems knowledge would help to a limited degree, but not really at that level. I just don't see the point.

/votes no

Spitfire

It seems that it would be too much curriculum to teach joint stuff as well as having each service learn their own thing...I mean, us Navy folks have 12 classes to take, and they are all fairly important. I say leave Jointness to the war colleges and fleet training.

Spitfire

Oh, and as to the whole AF-Navy relationship, apparently the detachment here at UW is the best in the nation, and let me tell you, knowing that just pains me when I look at them. I can't say I'm exactly impressed. Very Mickey-mouse.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Every college claims that they have the best ROTC det, I hear that from all my buddies, I said it for a while....

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I know, just saying every unit (all services) claim they are the best, at least all the different ones that I know people from.

Status
Not open for further replies.