• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Joining the navy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joslyn

Banned
Hello, my name is Joslyn and I am new to this website so I really don't know how to use it very well I apologize.
I have a question to all you folks who might answer it.
I am a college student majoring in mathematics I already finished freshmen year and I am in sophomore year so I have about two years to finish or depends on what happens because things happen anyways I am 24 years old my birthday is march 20 and I'll be 27 by the time I graduate college with a BA in mathematics. I am interested in serving my country for 10 to 15 years. I want to be a naval aviator. This is the knowledge I know I plan to either stay in college get my BA and join ocs but take the oar and the astb but wondering do I have to also take the asvab as well? About my age should I join the reserves or bdcp and wondering if I qualify for it because it says they expand the age prior to military service. The military says they will waiver it. I'm sorry if I sound stupid,or asking silly questions etc. I appreciate any answers thank you to those who are joining and serving. Much respect!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to AirWarriors. I'll try to answer some of your questions but some answers can be found by reading SEVERAL threads. So you have some homework to do.

1. Do you meet the requirements to earn a commission?
2. BDCP is no longer around. You'll have to take the ASTB to apply for OCS. The ASVAB is for Enlisted service.
3. Contact an Officer Recruiter (OR).

Now get busy reading some of the threads....

joslyn

Banned
Thank you.
I spoke to a recruiter earlier today and I have to meet with him tomorrow I'm confused he said it is still around and why else would I think it's not around. Sorry I couldn't go through all the threads this website is all new to me and I needed answers ASAP because of my situation. What about my age? What should I do? I'll be 27 getting my BA in mathematics isn't that too old to join ocs unless I have prior service? Should I join the reserves then go active once I graduate?
I'm sorry for being frustrating.

Welcome to AirWarriors. I'll try to answer some of your questions but some answers can be found by reading SEVERAL threads. So you have some homework to do.

1. Do you meet the requirements to earn a commission?
2. BDCP is no longer around. You'll have to take the ASTB to apply for OCS. The ASVAB is for Enlisted service.
3. Contact an Officer Recruiter (OR).

Now get busy reading some of the threads....
k tou

exNavyOffRec

Thank you.
I spoke to a recruiter earlier today and I have to meet with him tomorrow I'm confused he said it is still around and why else would I think it's not around. Sorry I couldn't go through all the threads this website is all new to me and I needed answers ASAP because of my situation. What about my age? What should I do? I'll be 27 getting my BA in mathematics isn't that too old to join ocs unless I have prior service? Should I join the reserves then go active once I graduate?
I'm sorry for being frustrating.

k tou

He is probably thinking about getting you to apply to the NUPOC program, that leads to being a nuke officer.

The age limit for aviation is commissioned by age 27 (other designators have a higher age limit), which means you must be in OCS by age 26 and 9 months, prior service does help with age, but only active time counts, so essentially one year of reserve time (1 weekend per month, 2 weeks during summer) would gain you 1 month of waiver time per year.

Info on your GPA would help as well.

joslyn

Banned
This makes me worried now because my dreams are to fly for the navy and I know I won't be in ocs by 26. This is horrible news to me.

Should I go active and still be in college? Would they make an exception for me when I turn 27 prior to my active service then? There has to be another way. I really need to be a pilot for the military. My other option is army. I don't care what I fly or who I fly for I just need to fly and serve.

He is probably thinking about getting you to apply to the NUPOC program, that leads to being a nuke officer.

The age limit for aviation is commissioned by age 27 (other designators have a higher age limit), which means you must be in OCS by age 26 and 9 months, prior service does help with age, but only active time counts, so essentially one year of reserve time (1 weekend per month, 2 weeks during summer) would gain you 1 month of waiver time per year.

mak

joslyn

Banned
My gpa is a 3.8 I'm trying to get higher but mathematics is difficult but very possible but I'm not sure if my gap will be enough.

hug

exNavyOffRec

This makes me worried now because my dreams are to fly for the navy and I know I won't be in ocs by 26. This is horrible news to me.

Should I go active and still be in college? Would they make an exception for me when I turn 27 prior to my active service then? There has to be another way. I really need to be a pilot for the military. My other option is army. I don't care what I fly or who I fly for I just need to fly and serve.

mak

The thing is that if you go active it will be nearly impossible to go to school full time, and there will be a time of AT LEAST 6 months that you will not be able to do any college (during boot camp and A school), the waivers are something that may be granted on a case by case basis and they are month for month, so 1 month AD time can be 1 month of waiver time.

There are other designators that are available.

Your GPA is excellent.

joslyn

Banned
My age would be enough. I apologize. What are the designator that are available? I'm very new to all this. Is there any pilots that can guide me to the right direction? I would appreciate it so much.

The thing is that if you go active it will be nearly impossible to go to school full time, and there will be a time of AT LEAST 6 months that you will not be able to do any college (during boot camp and A school), the waivers are something that may be granted on a case by case basis and they are month for month, so 1 month AD time can be 1 month of waiver time.

There are other designators that are available.

Your GPA is excellent.
Sore

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you really want to fly Navy and are due to graduate at 27, take summer/winter courses and try to graduate a semester or two early. That's really your only option to get to OCS before 27.

Also, punctuation is your friend for making posts that people can read and comprehend.

exNavyOffRec

My age would be enough. I apologize. What are the designator that are available? I'm very new to all this. Is there any pilots that can guide me to the right direction? I would appreciate it so much.

Sore

Surface Warfare
Supply
Nuclear Officer (Sub/Surface/Instructor)
Supply

These are just a few, but these have the most billets available.

exNavyOffRec

If you really want to fly Navy and are due to graduate at 27, take summer/winter courses and try to graduate a semester or two early. That's really your only option to get to OCS before 27.

Also, punctuation is your friend for making posts that people can read and comprehend.

Good point.

to the OP, you would need to graduate by December 2016 so you could be in OCS in January.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From your posts, It seems that English is not your primary language. Are you a U.S. Citizen?

joslyn

Banned
I apologize for my grammar it's my iPhone it makes a lot of mistakes while typing. Very hard to type on a mobile device. I'm used to typing on my laptop. Anyways, I am a good writer. I didn't know I was going to be judged on my writing on this website. Oh well!
Anyways, I am taking summer one and two and three classes each term and also I am taking 5-6 classes each semester on top of that a winter class not sure if I can take more but I will find out and if I can I will take two winter classes. I'm trying my best to speed things up if not my only option is the marines or army. I just want to fly and serve honestly.

I'm sorry

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.