• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jogger run over by plane (you can't make this stuff up!)

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
He was a great man.

Was? He IS a great man!
r-lee-ermey.jpg

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
So, the one fact that everyone seems to be leaving out here, according to cnn when I saw the story on TV yesterday: the jogger was using his iPod and had the volume up so loud he never heard or saw the plane.

The lesson here, in my opinion, NEVER lose your SA! I hate to say it, but if the guy hadn't been wearing that iPod he might be alive today.

I have to admit I feel bad for the pilot and the guilt he must be carrying at the moment even though this was a freak accident.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So, the one fact that everyone seems to be leaving out here, according to cnn when I saw the story on TV yesterday: the jogger was using his iPod and had the volume up so loud he never heard or saw the plane.

The lesson here, in my opinion, NEVER lose your SA! I hate to say it, but if the guy hadn't been wearing that iPod he might be alive today.

I have to admit I feel bad for the pilot and the guilt he must be carrying at the moment even though this was a freak accident.

Have you ever flown a plane with no engines turning? Pretty quiet. Half the time when I'm running, my eyes are squinted/shut from sheer hatred. If you can't hear it and can't see it, (especially coming from behind you while listening to music...) you're not gonna know it's coming.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
Have you ever flown a plane with no engines turning? Pretty quiet. Half the time when I'm running, my eyes are squinted/shut from sheer hatred. If you can't hear it and can't see it, (especially coming from behind you while listening to music...) you're not gonna know it's coming.

I run the same way, Otto. However, when I run outside I don't like listening to music because I like to know what's going on around me, especially if I am running on a busy road or somewhere else with a lot of traffic.

I guess what I am getting at, is no matter where you are, you have a responsibility to be aware of your surroundings for your own safety and the safety of others. I don't know about you, but with all the idiots on the road that seem to ignore bikers, runners, and joggers I have to stay aware of what's around me to stay alive.

All in all, it's a tragic accident that may or may not have been avoidable.

Ohh and on another note, I have been through the same training program as you (granted I went the P-3 route) and have a decent amount of civilian time. I know a plane with no running engine is pretty quite.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Even with out the iPod in and eyes wide open I don't think I'd be looking above me waiting on an airplane to drop out of the sky. More proof that when it's your time to go, it's your time to go.

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions

Problem is, even if it was on low volume, or even not wearing one at all, he probably wouldn't have heard it. Not just because it was a glider at this point, but even if the pilot had tried what the idiot former official suggested and yelled out... no amount of yelling is going to help. Ever notice when that cop is flying down the road you never hear his siren until he's beside/past you? In EVOC they mentioned that at speeds over 65-70 miles an hour, you outrun your siren.

When it's time to go... it's time to go.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The same way my squadron had a midair with two deer in FL. And second the why I don't go running....O..R..M. lol

Well, technically it was 3 deer. He missed his ace status by two. Not to be confused w/ the other deer strike by the same squadron just a few weeks earlier at 0J4. It was "fun" to hear from the former Commodore how the IPs failed to plan for that. Riiiight.

warface

Banned
Ever notice when that cop is flying down the road you never hear his siren until he's beside/past you? In EVOC they mentioned that at speeds over 65-70 miles an hour, you outrun your siren.

Sir, that is bullshit. Speed of sound is roughly 761 mph.

PR1 H

Sir, that is bullshit. Speed of sound is roughly 761 mph.

So you are saying that when that cop goes by you at 70, you hear his siren for quite sometime then? Maybe you have super hearing, but I don't.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Doppler Effect is a bitch, ain't it?

It all depends on the wavelength, velocity and interference patterns of the emitted sound waves. Theoretically, you could never hear the vehicle until it passes you, but that is never the case; it just seems that way.

warface

Banned
So you are saying that when that cop goes by you at 70, you hear his siren for quite sometime then? Maybe you have super hearing, but I don't.

Yes sir I have superman hearing and spidey sense, helps me dodge those pesky airplanes.

PR1 H

Science trumped by anecdotal reality.

Funny how that shit happens ain't it. :) Some people just don't understand it. Bet he doesn't think helicopters fly either, since theoretically it's impossible.