• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Job Opening - Astronaut

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I wonder about the 1000 hours of jet aircraft. I mean...do military jet pilots have to have same 1000 hours that a jet airline pilot has? I doubt 3 years in a squadron counts as "related, progressively responsible, professional experience"....

The military hours are better.

It says 3 years OR 1000 jet hours. Besides, you aren't getting 1000 jet hours in 3 years, and by the time one's actually in a position to apply, he'll have well over 3 years professional experience.

If you think anyone gets the astronaut gig with anything near the minimums, you're crazy, anyways.

srqwho

pilot
The military hours are better.

It says 3 years OR 1000 jet hours. Besides, you aren't getting 1000 jet hours in 3 years, and by the time one's actually in a position to apply, he'll have well over 3 years professional experience.

If you think anyone gets the astronaut gig with anything near the minimums, you're crazy, anyways.

When they say "jet", do they mean "turbofan/turbojet" or turbine? Just curious if turboprop time counted. The airlines spell it out better, go figure. Time to pick up the Russian Rosetta Stone software. Oh yeah, and go back to school for a legit degree in something more sciency.

draad

Is the test pilot route (instead of MAWTS/FWS/SFTI) still pretty much a requirement for military pilots to get picked up? Just curious...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the test pilot route (instead of MAWTS/FWS/SFTI) still pretty much a requirement for military pilots to get picked up? Just curious...
Picked up for what? This gig is an ISS position. Until we field the next generation of space vehilces, there's not going to be a requirement for pilots per se.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I
Then why would they even mention 1,000 jet hours if they didn't care about pilots?
It's one way other than hard science background to get your foot in the door, but they aren't looking for pilots - see the difference? TPS doesn't hurt, but it's not a requirement - now more than ever. It's just a means to weed otherwise undesirable people out.

Brett.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
So if you get picked up to be an astronaut and you are still active duty, how do they pay you? Do you just retain your AD pay and benefits, and remain eligible for promotion with your YG? Is their a sweet astronaut bonus?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So if you get picked up to be an astronaut and you are still active duty, how do they pay you? Do you just retain your AD pay and benefits, and remain eligible for promotion with your YG? Is their a sweet astronaut bonus?

The military folks selected usually remain on active duty for most or all of their time as an astronaut though some retire and stay in NASA as a civilian, a few even return to regular military duty and get promoted to flag or general, full general in one case. In the Navy they are in a special category when it comes to promotions and are pretty much automatically promoted up to O-6 when their YG peers do, much like a POW would (I forget if they even go to a board), a former XO was in BUPERS and dealt with their promotions.

jmcquate

Contributor
As for the flight hours mayeb thet still tool around in T-38s. I'm surprised thier not looking for Submariners.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Here's an astronaut going to infinity and beyond....... It was a deep space penetration mission......

1117buzzlightyearpcnach.jpg

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
^^^ Puts the phrase "dark side of the moon" in a different light.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
"Dad, have you seen my Buzz Lightyear?"
"He went on a mission son, he'll be back soon."
"When?"
"About the same time I return from my "business" trip."

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
My sister is a deputy coroner, and you'd be surprised at the shit people die with up their rectums. My favorite is a bunch of Barbie doll heads. Totally unrealted to the cause of death, by the way.