• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JO 1635s

k2fourever

I've torn through almost every single post in this forum, as well as the Reserve forum and talked to some people via PM, but I've still got a couple questions I haven't found direct answers to about 1635 life. My recuriter doesn't really have these direct answers, so I thought I'd tap collective wisdom here. If anyone would be willing to help me out, I'd appreciate it.

1. I understand 1630 JOs tend to be sent out with squadrons, etc., but how does the mobilization process work with reservists? My current plan is to voluntarily mob once I've completed training; is it likely I'd end up with a squadron, or do they save those slots generally for Active guys who can be there for awhile? I'm asking because I'd prefer to head over the sandbox, but I don't know if they save those slots for O-3s and up.

2. Related to the above, how does joining up with a Reserve unit generally work? Do you join Intel immediately after commissioning, or do you have to wait until after Newport and beginning training?

3. Speaking of training, I've seen conflicting reports. If I don't go for 20wks right away, do I drill with my local unit for training, or would I have to go to a RIA? I'm in New England, so the latter would mean heading down to Willow Grove, although I believe that is slated for closure by the time I would be commissioned.

4. I know there location I would likely join has a couple ONIs and a JIFC - any pros or cons to joining one over another (assuming I meet the COs and they like me, and are willing to tell the detailer they want me), or is there not even an option, and I just show up where the Navy tells me?

5. Mobilization - I've talked with some 1xx5s, and they've led me to believe that there are lists that get sent around periodically for assignments that open up, and you can generally volunteer for those if you are qualified, but does the command your unit supports have first dibs on you if you volunteer? I know your unit has a veto, but I wasn't sure if there was anything beyond that.

Thanks for at least giving these questions a once over. Like I said, I've dug everywhere I can think of - past AW threads, military.com, navyreserveintelligence.com, and a few other places - but I have come up short in direct answers. I'm very serious about heading down this road, but I want to make sure I'm jumping in with my eyes open. Any other advice you can offer would definitely help.

dephyler

Contributor
I've torn through almost every single post in this forum, as well as the Reserve forum and talked to some people via PM, but I've still got a couple questions I haven't found direct answers to about 1635 life. My recuriter doesn't really have these direct answers, so I thought I'd tap collective wisdom here. If anyone would be willing to help me out, I'd appreciate it.

1. I understand 1630 JOs tend to be sent out with squadrons, etc., but how does the mobilization process work with reservists? My current plan is to voluntarily mob once I've completed training; is it likely I'd end up with a squadron, or do they save those slots generally for Active guys who can be there for awhile? I'm asking because I'd prefer to head over the sandbox, but I don't know if they save those slots for O-3s and up.

If you voluntarily MOB, you almost definitely will not be going to the fleet. The only person I know that (as a 1635) was on a boat, did so for an AT on a command ship. The volunteers are going to GTMO, Afghanistan, or Iraq. I've seen some openings in FL with 50% of the time spent in Iraq. The 9600 NOBC has been talked about before, but you'll need that, plus some experience, before you'll be picked up for a MOB.

2. Related to the above, how does joining up with a Reserve unit generally work? Do you join Intel immediately after commissioning, or do you have to wait until after Newport and beginning training?
You'll probably drill with an Intel unit before you go to DCOIC. I would recommend that. I was drilling for 5 months before I went to DCOIC. You'll have a laundry list of things to do at your actual unit before you start NIOBC. NIOBC is a year long, and your second AT is the capstone of your intel training.

3. Speaking of training, I've seen conflicting reports. If I don't go for 20wks right away, do I drill with my local unit for training, or would I have to go to a RIA? I'm in New England, so the latter would mean heading down to Willow Grove, although I believe that is slated for closure by the time I would be commissioned.
If you're in NE, PM me, I can give you specifics since you're probably in my unit and you'll be training with me.

4. I know there location I would likely join has a couple ONIs and a JIFC - any pros or cons to joining one over another (assuming I meet the COs and they like me, and are willing to tell the detailer they want me), or is there not even an option, and I just show up where the Navy tells me?
Again, I can provide specifics on the units you're thinking of, and what the processes for our NIRR (new name for RIA) are. In general, when you're non-prior, you're assigned to a unit for processing and training and once you have a 9600, you can fill an actual billet, IE JICCENT.

5. Mobilization - I've talked with some 1xx5s, and they've led me to believe that there are lists that get sent around periodically for assignments that open up, and you can generally volunteer for those if you are qualified, but does the command your unit supports have first dibs on you if you volunteer? I know your unit has a veto, but I wasn't sure if there was anything beyond that.
There is a mailing list that you can sign up for that will distribute MOB, ADSW, ADT opportunities once you're in. Our XO keeps us very up to date on other stuff. As for volunteering, it's all about the chain of command. Our unit if very supportive of volunteers and your request would get pushed pretty quickly.

Check your box for a PM...