• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jiffy Lube Scam

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry tells Puddy to "stop using his moves" on Elaine, and hence goes to another mechanic and gets completely screwed. Good, honest mechanics are like gold.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
While my dad was in China a mechanic told my mom on a routine state inspection that she had a cracked cylinder head and it needed something like $2000 worth or work and parts. My dad told my then 12 year old self to ask the mechanic where the crack was and how it was affecting the compression and in which cylinders. He was a bit taken back by being confronted by a 6th grader, and had tried to lie to me. My mother, a natural born lie detector, then berated him for lying to a child. Thus my distrust of mechanics began.

Yeah. The main issue when it comes to cost is really paying for the mechanics labor. It's exspensive. Parts are cheap in comparison, and are generally the same price when you buy them yourself. Personally, $30+ an hour to change brake pads for 2 hours is not worth it, especially since I'd probably have to sit there for 2 hours waiting anyways, so the opportunity cost of my 2 hours is reduced to nil. I'll save $60 and spend the 2 hours myself on saturday. But to each his own.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
$30 each headlight!! Wow. I could get a bottle of halogen fluid for like $10 from pepboys and top 'em both off in 5 minutes! I think they were trying to scam her.

The transmission improves gas milage. I'd get two if I were you... classic.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I would prefer the statement in english next time.

hahah! seriously. I nearly went cross-eyed trying to figure out what the hell he was talking about. Use a period or a comma to break up the sentence. Otherwise, the grammar nazis will be on your @$$ in no time.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While we're on the subject of mechanic scamming, listen to this prank call. I love the part about replacing the "head light fluid."

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/mechanic.html
Hey, now make sure you don't mix up the left and right tires. And whatever you do, DO NOT put front tires on the rear or rear tires on the front. It can be very dangerous!

Good lord, that girl's father has done her an injustice.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Damn Steve, I keep following each of your posts...

Hey, now make sure you don't mix up the left and right tires. And whatever you do, DO NOT put front tires on the rear or rear tires on the front. It can be very dangerous!

In all fairness, that can actually be a problem if the tires are staggered. Not that she would know that.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Sorry, spent most of video laughing at pencil neck geek investigative reporter.

Same here. He looked suspiciously like a shaved monkey in a suit.

I'll second the comment about the hobby shops on base. The one in Corpus is especially good. Brand new tools, and every mechanic working there is more than willing to help or answer questions. I used it numerous times while I was there.