• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jet Question, Bear with me please

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth_h

I was just talking to a friend who was in the Air Force Academy about me taking the ASTB and it made me think of a question. How many non-Naval Academy people get tailhook selection? How many of you current/former jet guys are Naval Academy grads? How much does your flight training progress account for selection?

Sorry for the 100000000000th jet post. Also, I realize the Air Force is different from the Navy and Marines but it just got me thinking.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I was just talking to a friend who was in the Air Force Academy about me taking the ASTB and it made me think of a question. How many non-Naval Academy people get tailhook selection? How many of you current/former jet guys are Naval Academy grads? How much does your flight training progress account for selection?

Sorry for the 100000000000th jet post. Also, I realize the Air Force is different from the Navy and Marines but it just got me thinking.

It's been said a million times before on this board. Your commissioning source means jack shit with regards to your pipeline selection. Your primary grades/NSS and needs of the Navy/Marine Corps/CG/AF mean everything.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Non-jet guy... but you'll appreciate the non-knuckle-dragging response :))).

Same as Naval Academy guys.
Probably the same as the non-Naval Academy grads.
That's about all that matters... yep, that's it. It's possible that if you're an idiot with great grades, that might get brought up.

81montedriver

pilot
How could going to the Academy get you better chances for jets? You come out of there with a degree, just like any other college or university and you get commissioned, just like you would with ROTC or shortly after with OCS. Once you guys get to flight school, you are all in the same boat= Newly commissioned ENS/2ndLt's.

BTW, be prepared to get more shit from the rest of em!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry for the 100000000000th jet post

Let's take a closer look at this...

Thousands, millions, billions, trillions....

If this site presented one new post per second...how long would it take to reach that number?

According to my very shaky math skilz....a little over 300 years.

So the answer to your original question is "No, you will fly helos."

srqwho

pilot

Sorry for the 100000000000th jet post. Also, I realize the Air Force is different from the Navy and Marines but it just got me thinking...

Hey Seth. In my tailhook ground school class there was an academy guy, and OCS guy (me), and an ROTC guy. Honestly, there are some thousand pound brains in flight school who you'd 'think' would rock the program, but struggled. I've known guys who could think circles around me, but when it came to the monkey skills of flying, they needed a little more time. And for some people they decide that they just don't want to do it and try to redes. The academy types (in my experience) didn't really seem to end up heading to helo/maritime/jet advanced more than any other commissioning source. There are guys with hundreds of prior hours who went helos/P3s; there are guys who struggled and downed flights early on in primary and once it 'clicked' they flew awesome during RIs and Forms and went tailhook. When I showed up at Primary I wanted jets, then switched to helos, then anything, then back to jets. If you decide to head down this road you'll discover that reputation (in and out of the plane) trumps most other criteria and commissioning source doesn't mean a whole lot. But, the education the academy guys get is great, no doubt about it, and it'll open a lot of doors for those guys in their future post-Navy.

Random Task

pilot
Are mods not closing threads like this anymore? on a side note...the douche factor also plays a major role in what you get...no joke.

seth_h

So Im getting some flack here and would just like to say if I asked an inapproriate question Im sorry. I wasn;t trying to be a douche because of what I have read on this forum alot of people ask jet questions. Keeping that in mind I tried to ask something I had not seen on here before. This is probably my 5th or 6th time on the forum and I'm just trying to get help to pass my ASTB and ask some questions for later on down the line. As far as the large number, that was me trying to poke fun at myself. Thanks to everyone who responded.

The Phiz

pilot
If you are at the ASTB Stage, you have many, many hurdles before the Navy chooses where you go. Take em one at a time, because if you're looking at the one 18 months down the line, the one right infront of you will trip you up. As for the only important question up there:

Your performance is the only variable in the long equation that the navy uses that you can control. Your chances of getting your first selection improve with your performance, but in the end, its what the navy needs. I know people that had the minimum grade for jets and got it, and people that had mid to high 60's (top 10%) that didn't get it. Your performance and needs of the navy are pretty much all that matter (needs of the navy more).

Bottom line is, you need to be OK flying anything in the navy, because they can send you to any of the 3 main pipelines.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
And they can also just send you packing. These days its harder and harder to just get through API.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wait, so it's possible to pass your physical at MEPS for your FS and then get NPQ'd at OCS?:confused:

Impossible. If this were true, someone would have posted about it on here...

Guys, obviously the site is here to answer questions, but at least make a little effort and do some research first. Between this thread and the eye sight/Swiss Family Robinson jet thread, it's getting a little tedious.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
In all fairness, I think that GreenLantern was being sarcastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.