• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

jet pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

klostman

the happy dance!
I was just curious. If one were to get selected to jet pipeline, obviously your gonna get jets. Now, what jets are available to choose from. I guess I'm saying, what are the marines mainstream fighter and support aircraft. For example, I read that the marines still use F-4 Phantoms for fighter aircraft. Would the F-4 be a tough aircraft to get into since the FA/18 is the mainstream fighter and there slowly retiring the phantoms? I would imagine the marines keep fewer F-4's than FA/18's? What reconnisance jets does the marines use? Just curious. Thanks

Goliath112

hey dude what article do you read the F-4 was still in use? the Marines and Navy no longer use them. They are however, in use I think in very limited capacities by the Air Force. as far as what fighters the marines have I think they only use the Hornet and its variants.

man the wait is killing me

klostman

the happy dance!
Well I was reading through ARCO and it had a breakdown of the training pipleine for jets, maritime, and helos. Under the jet pipeline, it said for fighters , FA/18 and F-4 phantoms. The editon I had was published in 2000. Maybe its a mistake or something. I was surprised myself when I read it.

topher1235

The ARCO manual is out of date. They transitioned the last phantom squadrons back in the 80's. Now they fly the Prowler, Harrier, and the Hornets. The marine corps doesn't have a designated recon jet anymore, they use the F/A-18D for that now. Sort've like the TARPS with the Navy's Tomcats.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The last Marine RF-4B flew in 1990. The Corps has about 24 in storarge at Cherry Point in eviromental controlled "bags." NADEP (Naval Aviation Depot, upper echelon aircraft maintenance) Cherry Point has one F-4G the use for equipment testing. That's it for the Corps. Unless I'm mistaken, the Air Force has no F-4 left in flying condition. Most are on a stick or at bombing ranges. The only ones flying F-4's routinely is the Navy at Pt Mugu, Ca. They fly the QF-4 "drones" which can be used in a remote controlled status or flown by live pilots. The only other people flying the F-4 in the USA is the Luftwaffe out of Holloman Air Force base, New Mexico where the have two squadrons stationed. Of course their are the wealthy hobbyist who fly their personal Phantoms for fun. There is a lawyer at Hobby Airport in Houston with his own personal lead sled. Must be nice. That's my best update on the F-4 issue. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Mike26

There are also contractors that fly F4's out of Mojave, near Edwards AFB. I forget the name of the contractors but they work with the Navy quite a bit helping to conduct missle tests. The Turkish AF also flys F4's

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I thought we were just talking about in the US. Didn't know about the contractors at Edwards. The Turks do fly them as well as the Greeks. I was working a Turk F-4 on a range just west of Galipoli when I guess he strayed just inside the Greek border. The airspace intrusion took less then probably 20 seconds but the Greeks blew his ass out of the sky anyway. Never saw what hit him but it was one hell of a fireball. Luckily, the Turk pilot lived. When we retrograded back to the ship, our convoy of helo's was circled by a Greek F-4. Little unnerving considering they had just shot down the Turk. No point. Just thought it was a pretty good story. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Mike26

Wow, thats a crazy story,were you in the helo, or a jet near the helo?
We fly through that region a lot. Looking at the high charts for that area the say something like "IF YOU ENTER THIS AREA WITHOUT PERMMSION YOU WILL BE FIRED UPON WITHOUT WARNING" I guess the really mean it.

woodman

The Eglin F-4s are flown by old crotchety Air Force pilots who go up and let the new pilots flying F-15s and 16s lock on to him and track him. The F-4s are stripped down to nothing so they can maneuver a little better and give the new guys a challenge.

klostman

the happy dance!
woodman thats interesting. I figured the air force would just use T-38's or some other small jet training for mock dog fights. Does the Marine Corp's do something similar?

woodman

Don't quote me on this but I talked to a guy about a year ago who was at an airshow and flew F-4s out of Eglin. While talking to him I noticed that there was absolutely nothing in the rear cockpit. Apparently the jet is completely stripped down to the bare essentials so that the newbies can fire live missiles at him and then he just evades them. Sounds weird to me but I heard it from the horses mouth. But, I think it would be safe to say that the missiles have no warhead.
Apparently the jet is pretty nimble without any extra weight in it. At least I hope so for his sake.

Mike26

Seems like there would need to be some serious safety precautions for that to happen. While I was up at Elmendorf AFB a couple years ago in Anchorage, they had a civilan guy flying an old F86 that towed a metal dagger like object that the F15s would shoot at for gunnery practice. It was cool seeing an old jet like that flying formation with the 15's

psrogers

Intel Officer
Maybe the old guys flying the F4's just sacrifice themselves and the planes for the good practice and a more realistic training environment, taking it for the team. I hear some of them old fellers is real American patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.