• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

jet availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

el_riddle

60 bubba
okay, this may be dumb and inconsistant with much of what i've read, but i thought i would check the rumor out with you guys. i was told that 60% of all navy air crafts are jets of some sort, therefore 60% of all aviators candidates get jets. is any of this true?
luke

el_riddle

60 bubba
i completely realize this is probably a ridiculous question, but if someone could shed some light on it, i would be very appreciative. thanks
luke

Ed Williams

I'm in primary right now, and i'm no expert, but i can tell you that the Navy is over 50% helos, 10-20% heavies, and the rest is jets. I bit of advice, when it comes time to select a primary location, if you want jets, DO NOT go to whiting field. The vast majority of WF grads end up in helos. Take it for what you will. Any questions, feel free to ask
ed

Paul Burke

Do you know how long that trend has been and why?
I know it's probably a bad thing that I want jets so bad. Is it really that hard to get the scores to qualify for jets? Do you get to choose where you do primary or is it assigned to you?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Luke, as Ed mentioned, the majority of pilot slots goes to Helos, since that is what the Navy has the most of, from there you have the Jet and Prop/E6 communities.

As for where to go for getting jets... well, I kind of get a laugh out of your comment Ed, that is the same post API rumor mill that was in force when Matt and I went through. A lot always depends on your NSS, the needs of the Navy that week, blah blah blah.... the week I selected there were guys with 49 NSSs getting to go jets. And I counted my self fortunate to get one of only 3 slots for props! Then of course there are always the weeks that there are few jet slots, and in many cases no prop or E6 slots. Just based on the fact that Whiting Field has 3 VTs, and puts out "more" students, just by that fact alone you have more jet slots. I have known people that have gone all the way to Corpus, only to turn around and come back to Whiting for Helos.

Oh well, enough here for my rambling, long day, later.

Ed Williams

I actually had me Whiting indoc brief with 3 such lucky individuals who went to corpus for primary and ending up back at whiting for helos. Like john said, the primary pipeline for the NAvy is helos since there are more helos that anything else. For those wanting jets, it mainly has to do with the needs of the navy for that week. YOu can never do too bad with a bit of luck on your side. However, since Vance is now a choice for a primary location, all of the people that i've talked to said if you have your heart set on jets, go to Vance and play with the Airforce boys). Who knows.
ed

el_riddle

60 bubba
hey guys,
thanks for the comments thus far, but there seems to be quite a bit of disagreement. i'm getting the feeling that if you simply kick ass and have some luck then you can get a jet. i'm interested though as too how the Navy decides its needs and if they don't need any jets that week, does no one get jets? also is it possible to switch from helos to jets or from jets to helos?
thanks so much
luke

Jack

I have been told, and believe myself, that the way the powers that be decide how many jet slots are available each week depends heavily on how many people are at the the two jet training commands. Currently there are quite a few people in the so called pool waiting to begin either Intermediate T-2s or TS T-45s. The current wait for people finishing T-2s before 'heading down the hall' to Advanced is about 2-3 weeks. This itself is based on the fact that several months ago Meridian was running rather low on students, a larger number were brought up from Primary and now they are all finishing up T-2s - the problem that this creates is that they will only put 8-10 people in an Advanced class. and so on and so on. You can probably gather from this very broad generalization of the facts that jet availability is something that changes week to week and has no bearing on where you went to primary.

Finished up my Wep sims today. For those of you familiar - I had the "Z-man" back to back yesterday, oh what a joy! :)

jec

Jack

I did have the 'other one' today for the Wep EP sim... You're right though, if you you just yell and scream at yourself it steals a bit of his thunder... Oh the joys of being a student. Glad you could relate.

jec

el_riddle

60 bubba
do you guys know the ratio of f/a 18's to f 14's? also you mentioned above that a score above 50 qualifies one for jets...so what percent of candidites actually score 50 or above?
luke

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Matt,
I got to speak with the CO for the F-14 rag. He told me they expect to have the tomcat flying for about the next seven to six years. because of this they expect to keep the rag open for about the next three years. However the number of pilots going through is dropping fast so who know exactly when the last class will go through.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
Here are some numbers I was given. They are projections and are not written in stone.

Navy FY02 FY03

Rotary 302 39% 302 39%
Strike 242 32% 228 30%
Multiengine 147 19% 159 21%
E2/C2 48 6% 50 7%
E-6 29 4% 26 3%
TOTAL 768 765

Marine FY02 FY03

Rotary 187 56% 181 53%
Strike 116 35% 122 35%
Multiengine 30 9% 30 9%
Tiltrotor 0 9 3%
TOTAL 333 342

Ghost

el_riddle

60 bubba
man, that was some great info...is it acurate as far as everyone knows? also, i didn't see if anyone had had a chance to answer the question of what percent of people score well enough to qualify for jets. if anyone knows that, i would appreciate it. thanks
luke
FLY NAVY

Status
Not open for further replies.