• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jax Pawn & Gun

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I figured I'd keep this out of the "New gun" thread and just ask here... Does anyone have a recommendation for a reputable (and somewhat) honest Pawn shop in Jax? Long story, but my dad may be looking for a pistol (not sure what yet) and it doesn't have to be new. I figured a Pawn shop might be another option (other than the usual suspects like Gunbroker...which after a transfer, isn't much better than buying new).

Appreciate any recommendations.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Have you been to St. Nick's on Blanding? I shopped there for several guns and both times got really good deals. They even sold me a Springfield 1911 at cost.

Granted, I know it'll probably still be a bit more than a used gun but I thought they were good guys and like the idea of buying a new gun.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Have you been to St. Nick's on Blanding? I shopped there for several guns and both times got really good deals. They even sold me a Springfield 1911 at cost.

Granted, I know it'll probably still be a bit more than a used gun but I thought they were good guys and like the idea of buying a new gun.

I've been to exactly zero (0) pawn shops in the area. I'm trying to get an idea of what's around for when I go home next time to help him out.

By "...still a bit more..." do you mean a new gun from them vs a used gun from anywhere?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
St Nicks is a gun shop, not pawn shop, so I'm just assuming they would be pricier. That said, it's a good shop.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Gotcha. I'll keep them in mind. It looks like they're just a couple of miles from my parents, too.

rreagan3

VP-NESS
None
bullseye gun and pawn is a gun-oriented pawn shop WITH a good indoor range. i haven't bought anything from them, but i've browsed a bit after using the range. its up on atlantic blvd, west of southside. i almost bought a 1911 operator there, and i may still, as my welcome-home-from-deployment gift to myself.

have you looked at gun gallery or shooters? they both have an all-right selection of used guns, but you gotta watch the inventory closely if you're out for a particular model. i used the gun gallery indoor range a lot - until i figured out that bullseye is airconditioned.

and then there's always gun shows, which is where i've bought all but 2 of my guns. shooters and gun gallery usually run good stands at the local gun shows.

good luck and have fun.

rreagan3

VP-NESS
None
ps, if you're new to guns, check out chuckhawks.com. when i get the itch for a new gun, i read that site religiously. there's lots of no-bs articles and reviews on there for just about everything you could want to know about guns, ammo, and shooting.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The original question was about Pawn shops, not gun shops.

Bullseye gives me a bad vibe. I've been in there twice and while no one yelled at me, it seemed like it was inconvenience for me to be in there. When I lived in Jax, I would frequent Gun Gallery. Friendly people and some of the stuff in there (non-firearm) was decent priced if you wanted something now instead of waiting 3 days for the man dressed in brown to show up. However, they're prices aren't all that on firearms. They also mark up their "designer label" guns like DD and Noveske because they "customize" them. If they have a good price, I'm more than happy to shop there, but for an actual firearm, it's been cheaper to get it elsewhere.

Shooters is...Shooters. Sometimes you get good prices (because they'll bargain with you), sometimes not, depending on what you find at Bud's or elsewhere.

Thanks for the link, though. I'll peruse through it. I haven't been there before.