• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jarhead Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I heard that a movie is being made of Anthony Swofford's book Jarhead. I also know Jake Gyllenhall is playing Swoff but that's about it. My girlfriend was watching the oscars the other night and I noticed he was sporting a high and tight. Does anyone have any info about this? I hope they don't d!%k up a good book.

Wolfpack02

Wingman
pilot
jamie foxx is in it, they were doing some filming out in el centro as of last week. couldn't say how great the production value was though.

perchul

I enjoyed the book but can't understand how it could be turned into a movie without making up a bunch of stuff. Its going to be a lousy movie thats very well may turn into a conduit to insult the Corps...which I didn't view the book as.

Killer2

TRONS!
None
I got bored, and because I have never read the book, went looking for something on it. I found this link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418763/ There are some post down there towards the bottom that might be of some interest.

I wonder if it will be like that Josh Hartnet kid who played in Black Hawk Down, good story, but bad acting. I don't think they did the story any justice.

perchul

It will interesting to see another Marine boot camp done in the film, I just looked up one the guys playing as DI in the movie and he's just an actor. Scene can'y be as powerful without and actor who has some kind of USMC experience. Just going to be a guy trying to copy what Ermy did in Full Metal Jacket

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The book was pathetic.

He was actually trying to pass off Marine Corps urban legends as things he had witnessed first-hand. Swofford is a tool.

He tries to make it seem like he is Mr. Hotshot-Cool-Guy who reads the Iliad and runs around the base all night in boots and utes, while everyone else is a bunch of retards.

His book sucked, and there is nothing to make a movie about...he went to Kuwait, sat in the desert, walked around, went home. Wow.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I'm not going to comment as to the truthfulness of the contents, but the guy can write. I was very entertained and that was the sole reason I read book. I hope the movie stays in character with what Swofford did.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I AM looking forward to the movie they are supposedly making of Generation Kill.

A narrative account of a unit that actually saw combat is more interesting than a fantasy account of a shiatbird in the Marines.

ZGXtreme

Corporal of Grunts
I want to see a movie based on the book ''Table in the Presense, A.'' Wrote by our Chaplain; Lt. Carey Cash. Details before during and after the ground war of 1/5. After reading it, I don't know how we made it through the war like we did. Certainly 'someone' looking out for us from above!

If you haven't read it I strongly recommend it. It is a deviation from a typical war book but still a very accurate account of our push to Baghdad.

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
Killer2 said:
I wonder if it will be like that Josh Hartnet kid who played in Black Hawk Down, good story, but bad acting. I don't think they did the story any justice.
one of the military science instructors at my school we'll call him SFC L. He was THERE. he was in Chalk 2. East of Eversman Chalk. He said that Black Hawk Down portrayed war well but just meshed what happend together

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Wolfpack02 said:
jamie foxx is in it, they were doing some filming out in el centro as of last week. couldn't say how great the production value was though.

I hear you got a scene in the movie? Is this true?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
JDawg2332 said:
one of the military science instructors at my school we'll call him SFC L. He was THERE. he was in Chalk 2. East of Eversman Chalk. He said that Black Hawk Down portrayed war well but just meshed what happend together

You should read the book. Or go to www.bhd93.com. That forum is FULL of a bunch of Rangers who WERE there.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Michael W said:
They should just scrap all that crap and follow me around:)

Why would anyone watch a movie about a guy sitting in O'bannon hall waiting for word? :icon_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.